Station Name: WARBOYS
[Source: Nick Catford]
Another excellent aerial view of Warboys station in June 1953. The Puddock Hill bridge is seen top right and below it the access road both to the station and the brickworks. From this angle the slight slope in the roof of the middle section of the station building s clearly visible. The house to the right of the station building (now called Wingate) was built at the same time as the brickworks so is likely to have been for the manager. The Railway Hotel is seen top centre opposite the entrance to the goods yard. Along the approach road to the goods yard, the cattle pen, standing on an unusually small dock, is seen on the left with the weighbridge and weigh office on the right. Beyond that is the goods shed with one siding running through it, another alongside and two more parallel. The J17 is still in the siding. One of the brickworks’ two Hoffmann kilns is seen in the centre with the clay pit at the rear. A 1ft 11½in narrow gauge line is seen running along the edge of the pit, over a bridge and into one of the buildings. The brickworks had two Simplex (Motor Rail & Tramcar Co, Bedford) diesel locomotives.
Reproduced with the kind permission of Simmons Aerofilms Ltd