Station Name: WATTON (NORFOLK)

[Source: Glen Kilday]

Watton Station Gallery 3: c1950s - Early 1960s



A train from Swaffham arriving in Watton hauled by two D16 4-4-0s. The leading engine, 62559, worked out of King’s Lynn shed until its withdrawal in December 1955.
Photo from Julian Horn collection

Ernie Fagg's famous hedge was started in 1948. It first read ‘WATTON’.  ‘BRITISH RAILWAYS’ was added in 1952. Tyrrell & Byford's works in the former engine and carriage shed is seen to the rear.
Photo from Julian Horn collection

Ernie Fagg stands in front of his hedge which was started in 1948.
Photo from Julian Horn collection

An unusual view of some of the Watton station buildings c1950s seen from the approach road to the Tyrrell & Byford granary. The wooden building on the right is probably also part of Tyrrell & Byford and is located immediately behind Ernie Fagg's hedge. On the left is Tyrrell & Byford's weigh office with the station master's house to its rear. The station goods shed is seen between the buildings on the far side of the main line.
Photo from Julian Horn collection

The northern of the two single road engine sheds at Watton c1952. The shed has been out of use since 1875 and leased to corn, coal, coke and seed merchants Tyrrell & Byford in 1909.
Photo from the collection of the late Bernard Matthews

A Ford Consul car has found its way onto the foot-crossing over the running lines between the two platforms. The south end of the down platform is seen on the right. Watton station was never provided with a footbridge, passengers wanting to use the up platform had to cross the line on this barrow crossing. The large coal yard is seen behind the up platform.
Photo from Julian Horn collection

Another view of the Ford Consul that attempted to cross the line on the barrow crossing. This picture gives a good view of the old engine and carriage sheds built by the Thetford and Watton Railway. When the buildings were no longer required by the railway they were leased to local seed and corn merchant Tyrrell & Byford who had a private siding which was still in use in 1957.
Photo from Julian Horn collection

A J17 0-6-0 ‘wrong line’ in the Thetford platform with a northbound goods probably in the 1950s. The building on the extreme left was probably leased to one of the coal merchants operating from the station. Sacks of coal are seen in front of the building.
Photo from Julian Horn collection

Railway Lengthmen, Eric Stebbings and Edward Turner (right) working on the ballast on the northbound platform line, date unknown. The up platform is seen on the right and beyond one of two goods docks alongside the shed road. The second dock can just be made out in the distance beyond
the goods shed.
Photo from Julian Horn collection

Station staff pose for the camera in front of the booking office, left to right: Tim Allen, Bernie Warren, Fred Hoy, Jimmy the Guard, Stanley Clarke. Date unknown, BR days.
Photo from Julian Horn collection

The passenger shelter - more a warm waiting room perhaps, on the Thetford (up) platform. Date unknown but probably 1950s. One of the hoppers in the coal yard is seen on the right
behind the wagons.
Photo from Julian Horn collection

On a wet day in 1956, a year after dieselisation of the service, a ‘Derby Lightweight’ DMU arrives from Swaffham.
Photo from John Mann collection

A ‘Derby Lightweight’ DMU with a Thetford train in the early 1960s, the coal yard is seen on the right.
Photo from Julian Horn collection

Boys attended Hammond's Grammar School in Swaffham and girls attended Thetford Grammar.  Girls alight from the afternoon train from Thetford circa early 1960s.
Photo from Julian Horn collection


Click here for Watton Station Gallery 4:
March 1962 - July 2017

 

 

 

[Source: Glen Kilday]




Last updated: Monday, 18-Dec-2017 16:01:22 GMT
© 1998-2017 Disused Stations