Station Name: WESTON (BATH)

[Source: Martin James]

Date opened: 4.8.1869
Location: South side of a right angle bend in Ashley Avenue. The end of the 'down' platform was on the east side of Station Road.
Company on opening: Midland Railway
Date closed to passengers: 21.9.1953
Date closed completely: 29.11.1965
Company on closing: British Railways (Western Region)
Present state: The station building is intact and is used by 'Bath FM' radio station
County: Somerset
OS Grid Ref: ST732650
Date of visit: September 1992, February 2008 & 2009

Notes: Weston Station was the first station on the line from Bath Green Park to Mangotsfield with trains then going on to either Bristol or the Midlands. The station was only served by local trains between Bath and Bristol, but saw passing express trains including 'The Pines Express'.

The station - which was just under a mile from Bath Green Park - opened in 1869 (The official opening date is 4th August although the Bath Chronicle recorded the first passenger train running on 5th August) and closed to passenger traffic in September 1953. This was largely due to passengers preferring to use more frequent local trams into Bath City centre.

Located in Ashley Avenue, Weston, the station was only a modest one consisting of a station building, up and down platforms and a small goods yard. The down platform, on which the stone built station building was situated, was twice the length of the up platform - giving the appearance of offset platforms when viewed from the signal box. Access to the up platform which had a simple timber waiting shelter was via a footpath from the level crossing. The signal box - which controlled the level crossing - was in Station Road, Weston on the opposite side of the road from the station platforms.

In the early days, the (long) down platform was used as a 'ticket platform' and down passenger trains stopped there for tickets to be collected. Originally opened as Weston Station, the suffix 'Bath' was added on 1st

October 1934 to avoid confusion with Weston-Super-Mare although it was usually referred to locally as just 'Weston'


Passenger Trains
In 1890, there were 12 up and 12 down trains each day calling at Weston with two trains each way on Sundays - one in the early morning and one in the evening. In 1930, there were 10 up and 12 down trains, but by then the Sunday service had been withdrawn with no trains calling at Weston. In 1948,
there were 11 up and 10 down trains, but no Sunday service.

In 1953, with the increased use by former passengers of the Bath Tramway system, Weston Station was closed. The line into Bath Green Park remained open for passenger traffic until 7th March 1966.

Freight
There was only a single freight siding on the up-side at Weston Station - accessed by reversing freight trains from the down line, across the up line and into the siding. Traffic varied but was mostly coal. The siding closed on the 29th of November 1965 although by this date the station had been downgraded to a coal depot.

To the west of Weston Station, the were two private owner sidings, Locksbrook Wharf Timber siding - which opened in 1871 and closed in 1962 - and the Bath Brewery Sidings, which opened in 1896 and closed in 1968. Both these sidings were up sidings and were accessed from the up line by reversing an up freight train. Two other private sidings at Weston were
known as Fryers East siding and Shaw's sidings

On 12th September 1966 the 'up' and 'down' lines through the station were downgraded to long sidings. the signalbox closed on 5th May 1968 and line singled closing completely on 28th of May 1971 when Bath Gas Works closed. The track was lifted in 1972.

See Avon Valley Railway web site for a full history of the Bristol - Bath line.
Tickets from Michael Stewart


Weston Station looking east before 1910. Note the very long 'down' platform.
Copyright photo from John Alsop collection



Weston Station looking west in March 1932
Copyright photo from John Alsop collection

Weston Station looking east in March 1981
P
hoto by Alan Young

Weston (Bath) Station forecourt in September 1992
P
hoto by Nick Catford

The site of Weston (Bath) Station in February 2008, the 'down' platform was on the left.
P
hoto by Martin James

Weston (Bath) Station forecourt in 2009. The building is now the base of local radio station Bath FM
Photo by Martin James

 

 

 

[Source: Martin James]


Home Page
Last updated: Friday, 26-May-2017 08:58:03 BST
© 1998-2009 Disused Stations