Notes: The Meon Valley Railway closed to passengers in 1955 but
goods traffic remained on two severed sections of the line. At
the north end traffic continued to Farringdon and at the south
to Droxford. The track in-between was lifted. The goods service
to Wickham & Droxford finished in 1962 while that to Farringdon
continued until 1968.
After closure of the southern section by BR the line was taken
over by Charles Ashby who was developing the 'Pacerailer' railbus.
He had his base at Droxford Station. In 1965 The Southern Locomotive
Preservation Company moved some of their stock to Droxford in
the hope that the remaining section of track could be reopened
as a preserved line. In January 1969 this was looking unlikely
following continued vandalism at the station which caused considerable
damage to the Pacerailer.
When BR decided to close Knowle Junction the Preservation Company
moved their stock to the Bluebell Railway with the last railed
vehicle running on the line in April 1973.
By 1975 the track had been lifted and Wickham Station building
had been demolished. The platforms were still intact in 1983 but
since that date the gap between them has been infilled.
11 miles of the Meon Valley Railway is now a public footpath
and cycle track between Knowle Junction and West Meon. For details
Rides web site.
For further reading see The Meon Valley Railway by R. A. Stone
- Kingfisher Railway Publications 1983 - ISBN 0 946184 04 6.