Station Name: WINSFORSD & OVER

[Source: Paul Wright]

Date opened: 1.7.1870
Location: On the north side of the junction of Over Lane and Church Street
Company on opening: Cheshire Lines Committee
Date closed to passengers: 1.6.1931
Date closed completely: 1.9.1958
Company on closing: Cheshire Lines Committee
Present state: Demolished
County: Cheshire
OS Grid Ref: SJ655665
Date of visit: 12.11.2005
Notes: The CLC Winsford and Over branch which was opened on 1.7.1870 to give access to the numerous salt works in the Winsford area. One of only two station's on the line, Winsford and Over was a single platform terminus station with substantial goods facilities. It opened for passenger business on 1.1.1874. It closed a few years later on 1.1.1874 only
to reopen twelve years later on 1.5.1886. A further period of closure followed between 1.12.1888 and 1.2.1892 following which was the stations longest period of continuous business which lasted until the final closure on 1.1.1931.

The branch continued in use as a goods line, which had always been its primary purpose, until the early 1960's. The goods service was withdrawn from Winsford & Over in 1958 but was retained at Whitegate until 1963. Today the site of the station is occupied by a small industrial estate but the route of the line is a popular footpath and bridleway called the Whitegate Way.

Tickets from Michael Stewart

For Whitegate Station click on station name

Winsford & Over station in the early years of the 20th century.
Copyright received from Glenys Hulse

1898 1:2,500 OS map

Winsford & Over station in May 1952
Copyright photo from John Alsop collection

RCTS Railtour on 4.5.1952 at Winsford & Over station
Copyright photo from John Alsop collection

Looking north from the site of Winsford & Over station in November 2005
hoto by Paul Wright





Click on thumbnail to enlarge




[Source: Paul Wright]

Home Page
Last updated: Friday, 26-May-2017 10:03:08 CEST
© 1998-2005 Disused Stations