Station Name: WINSLOW ROAD

[Source: Nick Catford]

Winslow Road Station Gallery 2 1936 - 2010

F7 8307 is once again seen with a 'pull-and-push' service at Winslow Road station on 4 July 1936, the last day of passenger service. The Sunday service has been withdrawn by this time so the last train ran on Saturday. Even on the last day the platform is deserted.
Copyright photo by HC Casserley
Winslow Road station looking south from the level crossing c1950. Most of the buildings have been demolished with only the signal box and the brick towers that supported the footbridge remaining. The line was singled in 1939 and abandoned in 1947. The single track seen here has clearly not been used for some time.

Winslow Road station looking south in March.1955. The track between Winslow Road and Verney Junction was retained until 1957 for the storage of condemned rolling stock on the north
side of the level crossing.
Copyright Photo by RM Casserley

Looking north from the up platform at Winslow Road station c1957. The track has now been lifted back to the far side of the level crossing where condemned rolling stock can be seen in the distance. The remaining track was finally lifted in 1961. Although the signal box has now been demolished the brick towers that supported the footbridge are still standing.
Photo from John Mann collection

Winslow Road station looking south from the level crossing c early 1960s,
Photo from John Mann collection

Winslow Road station looking south in December 1968. A pig sty has been built on the trackbed between the two platforms. The East Claydon substation which was
built c1967 is seen in the background.
Photo by Nick Catford

Looking north along the trackbed towards Verney Junction c late 1960s.
Photo from John Mann collection

Looking north from the up platform towards Verney Junction c late 1960s. The stationmaster's house is seen on the left.
Photo from John Mann collection

Winslow Road station looking south in January 1974. At this time the two platforms were intact although the platform edge had been removed to accommodate the pig sty.
Photo by Nick Catford

Winslow Road station looking south in March 1989. The site is now occupied by ‘Station Kennels’. The pig sty has been adapted for use by the kennels and a new building has been erected next to it on the site of the down platform. The up platform remains intact.
Photo by John Mann

The surviving up platform at Winslow Road station in February 2010. The former pig sty appears to have cut into the platform edge.

Looking south across the level crossing towards the site of Winslow Road station in February 2010.
Photo by Nigel Edward-Few


Despite reports elsewhere that the up platform has been demolished with the exception of the north ramp this Google Earth view shows the platform edge is intact along the length of the former pig sty. Beyond the building the platform was demolished when the dog runs were built. The stationmaster's house is seen bottom right; it has been extended to the rear and to the east.

Late 1960s

February 2010

2010

Click on thumbnail to enlarge

 

 

 

[Source: Nick Catford


Home Page
Last updated: Friday, 26-May-2017 09:03:12 BST
© 1998-2014 Disused Stations