Station Name: YARMOUTH BEACH
||On the east side of Nelson Road North,
approx. half a mile east of the Market Place
|Company on opening:
||Great Yarmouth & Stalham Light Railway
|Date closed to passengers:
|Date closed completely:
|Company on closing:
||British Railways (Eastern Region)
||Demolished, but a small memorial to the
railway station remains in the form of a brick plinth containing
about ten yards of track and two cast iron roof supports showing
the logos of the M&GN and the E&MR.
|OS Grid Ref:
|Date of visit:
the line to Stalham (which it reached
in 1880) and North Walsham.
Notes: The station was opened as the terminus of the Great Yarmouth
& Stalham Light Railway. It was initially isolated from the
rest of the railway network, serving only the stations at Caister-on-Sea,
Great Ormesby, Hemsby and Martham. In 1878 the company changed
its name to the Yarmouth & North Norfolk Light Railway and
work began on extending
from the Midlands a link with the line to Lowestoft. The viaduct was closed in 1953 when major repairs were anticipated,
although it was found to be in good condition when it was demolished
in 1962. This left Beach Station once more the terminus of a line
from North Walsham. The decline of the herring industry together
with the increase in private car ownership let to its demise and
closure in 1959.
||In 1883, the company amalgamated with
the Lynn & Fakenham Railway to form the Eastern & Midlands
Railway, itself becoming part of the Midland & Great Northern
Joint Railway in 1893. In 1903 the 800 foot five span Breydon
Viaduct was built linking Beach Station with the Norfolk &
Suffolk Joint Railway line from Yarmouth South Town Station, giving
in 1883. Although the town served by the station is Great Yarmouth
the official name for the station was just Yarmouth although Great
Yarmouth appeared on station signs.
After closure, the site was used as a coach station, with the
platforms, canopies and buildings being used as waiting rooms.
The station was demolished in 1986 and replaced by modern brick
built facilities for coach passengers.
The station was originally called Yarmouth but Beach
Other web sites: For more pictures of Yarmouth Beach Station
and other Norfolk stations see
Arms web site.
Beach Station in the 1930's
Beach station in May 1977
Photo by Alan Young
of the station began in June 1986
Photo by Andrew Barton from Berney
Arms web site
Click on Thumbnail to enlarge
updated: Saturday, 27-May-2017 07:27:11 BST ||
© 1998-2005 Disused Stations