Notes: Aberangell was the exchange station for slate and
timber traffic for the Hendre-Ddu narrow gauge tramway system.
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE MAWDDWY
'The Mawddwy Railway' was a 6.75 mile long branch line from
the main Cambrian Railway (still open) at Cemmes Road with
intermediate stations at Cemmaes, Aberangell and Mallwyd.
Although the area was Cemmaes, the junction station was known
as Cemmes Road. The branch opened in 1867 and closed to passengers
in 1901, closing completely in 1908.
The line reopened 31st July 1911 as a light railway supported
by several local councils. The GWR eventually took over the
line and passenger services finally ended in 1931 although
the line remained open for freight until the early 1950's.
The line ran through several remote communities in the Upper
Dovey Valley and was never going to attract enough business
to be viable. The situation wasn't helped by the terminus
at Dinas Mawddwy being located about half a mile from the
village centre, the local terrain making it all but impossible
to get it any closer.
Dinas Mawddwy station served the Minllyn
Slate Quarry with a short tramway running from the station
to the processing mill at the base of a steep incline down
from the quarry on the hillside above.
To see other stations on the
Mawddwy Railway click on the station name: Cemmes
Road & Dinas
Mawddwy. No photographs are available of Cemmaes &