Notes: The station site was taken over in 1966 for use as
a woolen mill, which today is a thriving tourist attraction.
The Mill Shop shown in one of the photos is located in the
old engine shed. The station building itself was, until recently
used as a general purpose store serving visitors to the Mill.
When the photographs were taken, in October 2005, the building
was in the final stages of conversion to a private dwelling
named 'Station House'.
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE MAWDDWY
'The Mawddwy Railway' was a 6.75 mile long branch line from
the main Cambrian Railway (still operational) at Cemmes Road
with intermediate stations at Cemmaes, Aberangell and Mallwyd.
It opened in 1867 and closed to passengers in 1901, closing
completely in 1908. Early timetables spelt that station name
as 'Mawddy' and 'Mowddy', this was probably a mistake. It
reopened 31st July 1911 as a light railway supported by several
The GWR eventually took over the line and passenger services
finally ended in 1931 although the line remained open for
freight until the early 1950's. The line ran through several
remote communities in the Upper Dovey Valley and was never
going to attract enough business to be viable. The situation
wasn't helped by the station at Dinas Mawddwy being located
about half a mile from the village centre, the local terrain
making it all but impossible to get it any closer.
Dinas Mawddwy station served the Minllyn
Slate Quarry with a short tramway running from the station
to the processing mill at the base of a steep incline down
from the quarry on the hillside above.
To see other stations on the
Mawddwy Railway click on the station name: Aberangell
& Cemmes Road.
No photographs are available of Cemmaes & Mallwyd