Station Name: ASH GREEN HALT

 

[Source: Ralph Rawlinson]


Date opened: 8.10.1849
Location: East side of White Lane
Company on opening: London and South Western Railway
Date closed to passengers: 4.7.1937
Date closed completely: 4.7.1937
Company on closing: Southern Railway
Present state: The Station House survives as a private residence as do parts of both platforms and an old Southern Railway sign. The overbridge to the west of the station also survives.
County: Surrey
OS Grid Ref: SU902501
Date of visit: 7.9.2003

Notes: The London & South Western Railway opened a double track line from Guildford to Farnham in 1849 and extended it to Alton in 1852. Later it linked with the main line to Southampton two miles north of Winchester. Aldershot lies on the Surrey/Hampshire border and in 1898 a short branch was opened from Tongham to Aldershot Gas Works. On weekdays in 1922 ten passenger trains used this line calling at all stations between Farnham and Guildford; there was no Sunday service. In 1930 the line was singled and, with the electrification of other lines in the area, the passenger service to Tongham and Ash Green ceased in 1937. The line remained open for goods and to serve the gas works until 1960; the track was lifted the following year.

The station was originally opened as Ash being renamed Ash Green in 1876, renamed Ash again in 1891 and finally renamed Ash Green Halt in 1926

 


Ash Green Halt in September 2003
Photo by Tim Grose




Ash Green Station House and Southern Railway sign in September 2003
Photo by Tim Grose

 

[Source: Ralph Rawlinson]

Home Page
Last updated: Tuesday, 20-Apr-2010 16:12:12 BST
© 1998-2004 Disused Stations