Notes: Originally, the branch line from Dalreoch continued
through Balloch Central to Balloch Pier which was opened to
bring passengers to the steamers operating out of Balloch.
Initially timetables just showed Balloch. The first specific
reference to Balloch Pier was in September 1858 timetable,
when mileage's suggest the line had been extended and Pier
added. But steamer connections had always been given and it
may be that the Pier section was assumed - it was early regular
practice not to give town and pier stations separately.
Town Station became Balloch Central on 30.6.1952. It was electrified
with the rest of the Glasgow North Bank system in the early
|| With the last public cruise Balloch Pier
on August 30th 1981, the station became redundant with
few passengers travelling beyond Balloch Central and the
station closed from 29.9.1986. By closing the station
rail authorities could also get close the level crossing
at the west end of Balloch Bridge.
To achieve this, Balloch Central closed on 24.4.1988 and
a new station, simply called 'Balloch', was opened immediately
to the south of the former level crossing which led into Balloch
The last steamer in service on Loch Lomond, the 'Maid of the
Loch', was left to rot at Balloch Pier in 1981, it has since
been restored becoming a static attraction during the 1990's,
but the eventual aim is to return it to service on the loch.
The platform at Balloch Pier still exists and the 'Maid of
the Loch', the last paddle steamer to be built in Scotland
is berthed alongside it.
Other web site: Rail
Scot for more pictures of Balloch Pier Station shortly
See also Balloch