[Source: Paul Wright]

Date opened: 1.10.1914
Location: On the north side of Davenham Road
Company on opening: London North Western Railway
Date closed to passengers: 2.3.1942
Date closed completely: 2.3.1942
Company on closing: London Midland & Scottish Railway
Present state: Demolished
County: Cheshire
OS Grid Ref: SJ680713
Date of visit: August 1979

Notes: Billinge Green Halt was located on the Sandbach - Northwich line of the London & North Western Railway (LNWR). Authorised in 1863 the line opened to goods services in November 1867. The LNWR built the line primarily to tap into the lucrative salt trade that existed in the mid-Cheshire area but also introduced a passenger service onto it on 1 July 1868 and one station was provided at Middlewich.

Billinge Green Halt was opened on 1 October 1914. It was located on the north side of the Davenham Road which passed over the line on a bridge in an isolated area of scattered farmsteads a mile to the east of the village of Davenham.

There are no known photographs of Billinge Green Halt and it does not appear on any large scale maps. The line was a single track at Billinge Green and the halt was probably little more than a short timber platform connected to the road by a set of steps.

The July 1922 timetable showed 11 up (Sandbach direction) and 10 down (Northwich direction) trains called at Billinge Green. All of the up services ran to Crewe. The down trains ran to either Northwich or Acton Bridge.

On 1 January 1923 Billinge Green Halt became part of the London Midland & Scottish Railway (LMS). The LMS summer timetable for 1932 showed that only 4 trains in each direction called at Billinge Green Halt Monday-to-Saturdays as shown in the table below.

Up Trains Summer 1932 Destination Down Trains Summer 1932 Destination
8.34am Crewe 8.03am Northwich
11.57am Crewe 11.32am Northwich
4.04pm Crewe 1.19pm Northwich
5.37pm Crewe 5.15pm Northwich

The LMS closed Billinge Green Halt on 2 March 1942. It is likely that it would have been demolished shortly after leaving no trace.

Passenger services continued to serve Middlewich until 4 January 1960. The line had always been more important for freight services and it has remained so into the 21st Century. Passenger diversions also use the line during periods when main line routes are subject to engineering works.

Ticket from Michael Stewart

See also: Cledford Bridge Halt & Middlewich

The site of Billinge Green Halt looking north in August 1979.
hoto by John Mann

Billinge Green Halt looking north from the Davenham Road bridge on 27 February 2008. Heading south through the site of the halt is Class 57 locomotive number 57 304 on a driver training run.
Photo from the wwatfam Flickr photostream

On 20 August 2011 the Davenham Road bridge was in the process of being rebuilt affording a view of the site of Billinge Green Halt not usually seen.
Photo from the wwatfam Flickr photostream




[Source: Paul Wright]

Last updated: Sunday, 04-Jun-2017 09:44:17 CEST
© 1998-2014 Disused Stations