BILSTON GALLERY 1

[Source: Terry Callaghan]

A Derby Sububan 3-Car (latterly Class 116) viewed from the signal box as it departs the station heading for Birmingham in the 1960s.
Photo by Jim Lake



An early 1960s view looking south with the station flower beds looking neat and tidy and the goods yard and shed very busy.
Photo from the John Mann collection



Looking south from the station footbridge in the early 1960s. Bilston signal box, a Great Western Railway type 27c design fitted with a 37 lever Great Western Railway Stud frame, the signal box structure being moved from Dulverton. Bilston signal box was renamed Bilston Central on 19th July 1950, and closed in early 1969 (quoted as on 26th January and on 1st February). The signal box structure was very soon derelict and was demolished by October 1970.
Photo from the John Mann collection



The view north, in the early 1960s, from the station footbridge with a trolley on the platform probably awaiting mail or parcels from a southbound service. This view was little changed from when the station opened.
Photo from the John Msann colection


Looking in the Wolverhampton direction in this pre-June 1965 picture the diminutive waiting shelter on the Wolves bound platform is evident.
Photo from the John Mann collection


Looking south along the Birmingham bound platform prior to June 1965, the, once well kept, station is slowly becoming overgrown.
Photo from the John Mann collection


An ex-GWR 5600 Class 0-6-2T No. 6683 has just passed through the station with a rake of empty mineral wagons heading south, towards Birmingham, the lines running to the left are the connections with the goods yard.
Photo by David Rostance from his Flickr photostream

To see more pictures of Bilston click here

To return to the main page click here

 

 

 

[Source: Terry Callaghan]



Last updated: Sunday, 04-Jun-2017 08:44:42 BST
© 1998-2017 Disused Stations