Station Name:Bishopsgate Low Level

 

[Source: Nick Catford]


Date opened: 4.11.1872
Location: On the north side of Quaker Street
Company on opening: Great Eastern Railway
Date closed to passengers: 22.5.1916
Date closed completely: 22.5.1916
Company on closing: Great Eastern Railway
Present state: Both platforms still exit (one underneath Bishopsgate Goods Station) as does the entrance on Quaker Street. This consists of an arch with wooden doors at the top of the entrance stairs.
County: London
OS Grid Ref: TQ336822
Date of visit: September 1968 & December 1994

Notes: The station was originally built for the passengers who had used Bishopsgate High Level Station when the Great Eastern Railway extended their line into Liverpool Street. It was opened as Bishopsgate Low Level but 'Low Level' was dropped after 1.11.1875 when Bishopsgate High Level was closed on the opening of Liverpool Street to suburban trains. Liverpool Street opened to long distance trains on 2.2.1874. Bishopsgate, Coburn Road & Globe Road were all closed in 1916 following a decline in traffic from the inner suburbs. A new Bishopsgate Station will shortly be opened on the East London Line extension.

 


Bishopsgate Low Level Station seen from Bishopsgate Goods Station (upper level) in December 1994
Photo by Nick Catford


This 1898 Map shows the station as Bishopsgate Street Station. This must have been a mistake as the station never had this name and there isn't a road called Bishopsgate Street.


Bishopsgate Low Level Station looking towards Liverpool Street in December 1994
Photo by Nick Catford

 

1968

1994

1994

1994


Click to enlarge

[Source: Nick Catford]


Home Page
Last updated: Tuesday, 20-Apr-2010 16:11:37 BST
© 1998-2004 Disused Stations