Notes: The station was opened as Cemetery but was renamed Cemetery
Gates 9.1866 after the Hornsea and Withernsea trains started to
use the line and finally renamed Botanic Gardens (which were opposite
the station on Spring Bank) on 1.11.1881.
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE VICTORIA
The York and North Midland railway served Hull's town docks on
the western side of the River Hull from the goods station on Railway
Street, however after the Victoria Dock on the east side of Hull
opened in 1850 a new railway was necessary to serve it.
The Victoria Dock branch line was just over 3 miles long, running
in a rough semicircle from Anlaby Road (junction with the Hull-Selby
line) to the north of Hull and terminating at the dock; powers
were obtained in June 1852 and the line opened for freight on
16.5.1853. The line was built at ground level, and there were
level crossings on all of Hull's main roads. A suburban passenger
service, one of the earliest in the country, began on 1.6.1853,
it lasted only until 1854 due to lack of passenger numbers.
On initial opening of the Hull and Holderness Railway on 27.6.1854
trains terminated at Victoria Dock; Hull-Hornsea branch trains
terminated at Wilmington station when that line opened on 28.3.1864.
However from 1.6.1864 trains from both branch lines ran into Hull's
Paragon Station via the Victoria Dock branch, bringing the passenger
stations back into use.
With closure of the Hornsea and Withernsea routes in October
1964, the Victoria Dock branch stations closed, through freight
services to and from the docks continued to use the line until
its complete closure in 1968.
The trackbed eastwards beyond Wilmington station and at Southcoates
has been obliterated by a new ring road, Victoria Dock station
can be traced on the 1850's OS maps but closed in the 1860's and
there is no trace
To see the other
stations on the Victoria Dock Branch Line click on the
station name: Stepney,