Station Name: CHEVINGTON
[Source: Alan Young]
Chevington Station Station Gallery 1: c1906 - February 1991
Looking north from the level crossing at the down main line and bay platforms at Chevington c1906. An Amble branch passenger train is standing in the bay platform. The single-storey brick building on the left contain booking and waiting facilities, and the several men in the foreground are probably station staff. Handsome NER casement oil lamps adorn the crossing, the building and the platform.
Photo from Alan Young collection
1859 1:2,500 OS map. The cottages built for the crossing keepers, north of the level crossing and east of the double-track railway, are shown, but ‘Station’ seems to be a late addition to ‘Chevington Crossing’ without the representation of platforms or passenger buildings. There is no evidence that the station was ever called ‘Chevington Crossing’. A short siding to a goods dock extends north-east of the station.
1897 1: 2,500 OS map. The station is now shown. The crossing cottages, east of the tracks, now face a platform on the west (down) side which has a building immediately north of the level crossing. The up platform is south of the crossing, with a building midway along it. A signal box, opened by October 1877, is immediately south of the crossing, west of the tracks. Two sidings have been added on the down side, south of the crossing. A further railway track extends from the southern ramp of the up platform for several hundred yards with no connection to the main line. It is assumed that this was provided in association with the ‘Old Colliery Railway’ branch which extended to an abandoned coal shaft on West Chevington Farm. A 40ft shaft was sunk here sometime between 1860 and 1890, but only one workable coal seam was found, so a further bore of about 100ft was sunk from the bottom of this shaft. The working appears to have been abandoned as no coal was commercially extracted – and the failed colliery was apparently never given a name. It is understood that the short branch railway was built, but it was lifted when the coal shaft was abandoned. The area east of the shaft was later exploited as West Chevington Opencast in the 1980s, and later extended and deepened as Stobswood Opencast. The north-to-east chord of the original colliery railway – or a route very close to it - appears to have been used later for access to Stobswood opencast site.
1923 1: 2,500 OS map. The surroundings of the station are still distinctly rural. Provision is made for Amble branch trains to use Chevington as their terminus, as two tracks have been added to the west of the down platform; the rear of the platform is now a ‘bay’. The building on the up platform has been extended since 1897. A railway cottage has been built across the road from the
original crossing cottages.
1959-60 1: 2,500 OS map. The station closed to passengers in 1958 but goods were handled until 1964, and the sidings for this traffic remain in place on this map.
This view is looking north from the level crossing c1906; the dramatic curve of the cross-over railway track and apparent shortness of the platform suggest that a telescopic lens has been used on the camera. An Amble branch passenger train is seen at the bay platform. The down main line platform is in the foreground. The fine collection of semaphore signals will be noted.
Looking north at Chevington station in this undated view a railwayman is preparing to cut a rail. The up platform is to the right, with nondescript single-storey buildings. The crossing cottages, also to the right, which pre-date the station by over 30 years, are beyond the crossing. The signal box is on the left and it obscures the down and bay platforms beyond the crossing/
Photo from John F Mallon collection / NERA
The up platform and signal box at Chevington are seen in October 1959, looking south from the level crossing, a little over a year after the station closed to passengers. At this time the station continues to handle goods traffic, and a loading gauge and sidings are still in place. The former crossing cottages and the down platform are behind the photographer.
Photo from John F Mallon / NERA
The up ‘North Briton’ express was derailed at Amble Junction, one mile north of Chevington station on 15 July 1967, as a result of which nine passengers were injured. A faulty rail was the
cause of the accident.
Photo from John Young collection from Railways of Berwick and the Eastern Borders
private Facebook group
The former crossing cottages at Chevington on the up side of the East Coast main line tracks are seen from a passing train in September 1972.
Photo by Alan Young
The signal box at the former Chevington station to the west of the East Coast main line tracks, looking south-west from the level crossing in June 1978. This N2-design NER box with a stone base was opened by October 1977 and it closed on 24 February 1991.
Photo by Keith Holt from the KDH Archive
Click here for Chevington Station Station Gallery 2: