Notes: Coed Talon Station opened on the 1st January 1892. It was situated on the Wrexham and Minera Joint Railway’s (W&MJR) line that connected Mold with Brymbo. The W&MJR was a joint railway its partners being the London & North Western Railway (LNWR) and the Great Western Railway (GWR).
The line had its origins in the Ffrith Branch which ran from Padeswood to Collieries in the Coed Talon area. The Ffrith Branch had opened on the 14th September 1849. In 1865 an Act was obtained to extend the Ffrith Branch. In 1866 the extension became the W&MJR. It opened to freight on the 27th January 1872. No passenger services ever operated over the line from Padeswood to Coed Talon.
The gradients on the original line between Padeswood and Coed Talon were extremely steep. To overcome the difficulties of the steep gradients the LNWR obtained an act in 1866 to build a four and a half mile new line from Tryddyn Junction which lay a quarter of a mile to the east of Mold to Coed Talon. This line was completed in 1870 creating a junction at Coed Talon.
It was not until 1892 that the LNWR decided to introduce a passenger service from Mold to Coed Talon and to enable a service to run they had to provide a passenger station at the later location. Coed Talon station was provided with one platform as the Mold to Brymbo line was a single track railway. The platform was situated on the west side of the line on the north side of a level crossing which carried what became the B5104 over the line. The platform was constructed out of a timber retaining wall back filled with earth and topped with crushed stone. At the northern end of the platform was the junction at which the lines to Padeswood and to Mold split. At the southern end of the platform, close to the road, there was a brick built single storey building which housed the stations booking office. The building had a small awning that gave a small amount of shelter to waiting passengers. Two small wooden sheds were located on the platform just to the north of the station building. They were used as waiting shelters.
On the west side of the line, behind the stations platform there were a number of goods sidings served by a 5 ton crane. On the east side of the line there was a goods shed and some houses for railway employees. The goods facilities at Coed Talon had existed long before the passenger station was built.
however did not wish to provide the LNWR with a route into Wrexham. Passengers wanting to travel from Coed Talon to Wrexham had to change at Brymbo.By 1904 there were four trains in each direction between Mold and Brymbo with an extra service running on Wednesday and on Saturday evenings. During the early part of the 20th Century Coed Talon Station was well used by local people as there was not really any other way to easily move around the local area. Mold was an important market town and was therefore the destination for most of Coed Talons passengers. By 1919 there were five trains per day in each direction.
||At the time of opening Coed Talon was served by four trains per day which ran between Mold and Coed Talon. The train service was operated by the LNWR In 1898 the passenger service was extended southwards to Brymbo. The service could easily have been extended to run into Wrexham as there was a GWR line from Brymbo to Wrexham. The GWR
In 1923 Coed Talon became a joint line of the GWR and the London Midland Scottish Railway (LMS) after the later had absorbed the LNWR. The LMS operated the passenger service which by 1934 consisted of five trains per day in each direction on weekdays and six on Saturdays. From 1931 however Coed Talon passengers could no longer travel to Wrexham via Brymbo as the GWR withdrew its passenger service that ran between Wrexham, Brymbo and Berwig.
Following an accident on the original line from Coed Talon to Padeswood on the 29th July 1934 when a goods train of minerals and earthenware drainpipes derailed at Pontblyddyn the route was closed. The track between Coed Talon and Padeswood was lifted during the Spring of 1935.
The local service remained well used up until the late 1930s when Crosville Motor Services introduced a bus service that ran from Mold and connected with many of the local villages, including Coed Talon. The buses took many passengers away from the railway.
During the Second World War only two trains per day in each direction called at Coed Talon.
After the war the service remained at two trains that ran in the morning and late afternoon only. The trains were laid on primarily to serve local children who attended Mold Grammar School. From January 1st 1948 Coed Talon became part of the Nationalised British Railways (London Midland Region). On the 27th March 1950 British Railway's withdrew the remaining passenger trains from the Mold and Brymbo line and Coed Talon closed as a passenger station.
Shortly after closure the line between Coed Talon and Brymbo was closed completely and lifted from a point a few hundred metres to the south of the level crossing. This left Coed Talon on the end of a branch line much as it had been when a railway had first reached the village in 1849. Coed Talon continued to be served by scheduled goods trains until 1963. The line remained in situ throughout 1964 but it was lifted shortly after.
Today nothing survives of the station but the goods shed and railway houses that were on the east side of the line can still be seen.
Tickets from Michael Stewart, route map drawn by Alan Young
To see other stations on the Brymbo - Mold line click on the station name:
Brymbo, Ffrith. Llanfynydd & Mold