Station Name: COLDSTREAM

[Source: Alan Young]

Coldstream Station Gallery 3: 1961 - 14 April 1963

In 1961 a permanent way trolley is seen on the turntable at Coldstream station. This westward view includes the footbridge and signal box and, in the background, the goods warehouse.
Photo by R Oakley copyright ColourRail

An up passenger train is seen at Coldstream station on 25 September 1961. The NER footbridge and signal box will be noted. Class 2MT 2-6-0 No.78046 shedded at 64G, Hawick, is hauling the train. The loco was built at Darlington works in October 1955 and would be withdrawn from 64A, St Margarets shed, in November 1966.
Photo from Railways of Berwick and the Eastern Borders Facebook Group

On 7 April 1962 the photographer is looking south from a down passenger train leaving Coldstream station. Far left, a rake of mineral wagons occupies the siding, beyond the goods-only branch to Wooler (which formerly continued to Alnwick). The Wooler line is on a gradient of 1 in 133 as it rises to breast a low watershed between the Tweed and Bowmont valleys, whilst the Kelso line from which the photo is taken is falling at 1 in 1320.
Photo by Brian Johnson


Looking north from a down train at Coldstream as it crosses the bridge over the A697 road. This photograph, taken on 7 April 1962, includes the office range and stationmaster’s house on the up platform. Part of the goods warehouse and office can be seen, far left.
Photo by Brian Johnson

Looking south at Coldstream station on 1 June 1962.  Ivatt-designed 2F 2-6-0 No.46482 is moving onto vans before working a goods train to Kelso. The loco was built at Darlington works in October 1951 and allocated to 51F, West Auckland shed. In August 1965 she was withdrawn from 67C, Ayr shed
Photo by Michael Mensing

Towards the end of passenger services on the Berwick-upon-Tweed – Kelso – St Boswells line a single coach was more than ample to carry the meagre traffic. In 1962 a down train pauses at Coldstream, and there appear to be some parcels on the trolley – so some business is being done. No.78048 is a 2MT 2-6-0 based at 64G, Hawick shed. She was to have a short life, being built in October 1955 at Darlington works and withdrawn in July 1964.
Photo from Railways of Berwick and the Eastern Borders Facebook Group

On 8 September 1962 the 9.56am Berwick-upon-Tweed to St Boswells train is calling at Coldstream and appears to be handling both passenger and parcels traffic at the station.
Photo by Brian Johnson

A northward view from the 5.13pm up train at Coldstream station on 8 September 1962. The northern end of the down platform is provided with two casement oil lanterns and a (distant) running-in nameboard. The footbridge, water tank and terraced railway cottages can be seen. Several wagons are occupying the goods yard.
Photo by Brian Johnson

The line between the Anglo-Scottish border and Coldstream station is seen from the 4.00pm St Boswells to Berwick-upon-Tweed train on 8 September 1962 with 2MT 2-6-0 No.78049 in the foreground.
Photo by Brian Johnson

The SLS/BLS ‘Scottish Rambler No.2 Railtour’ of 12-15 April 1963 is calling at Coldstream on 14 April. On this single day, the ambitious tour took in the goods-only branches to Duns, Wooler, Jedburgh and Greenlaw as well as the Tweedmouth-St Boswells line and the Waverley Route! The five Mk 1 coaches are hauled by Thompson B1 4-6-0 No.61324, built by the North British Locomotive Company, Glasgow, in June 1948; the loco was withdrawn in October 1965 from 64A, St Margarets shed. The train is ‘wrong line’, the loco having reversed onto the train which has just returned from Wooler, hauled by
2-6-0 No. 46474.
Photo from Railways of Berwick and the Eastern Borders Facebook Group

The SLS/BLS ‘Scottish Rambler No.2 Railtour’ of 12-15 April 1963 is calling at Coldstream on 14 April, hauled by Thompson-designed B1 4-6-0 No.61324. The train is ‘wrong line’, the loco having reversed onto the train which has just returned from Wooler, hauled by 2-6-0 No. 46474.
Photo from Railways of Berwick and the Eastern Borders Facebook Group

The SLS/BLS ‘Scottish Rambler No.2 Railtour' of 12-15 April 1963 is calling at Coldstream on 14 April, hauled by Thompson-designed B1 4-6-0 No.61324. The participants – apparently exclusively male and clad in suits or sports jackets and ‘flannels’ in the era before sartorial standards declined in favour of jeans and anoraks  – are seeking vantage points to photograph the scene
Copyright photo by RM Casserley

Click here for Coldstream Station Gallery 4:
14 April 1963 - c1964


 

 

 

[Source: Alan Young]



Last updated: Thursday, 28-Dec-2017 22:37:41 GMT
© 1998-2017 Disused Stations