Notes: Crook Station opened in early 1844 on market days
(Thursdays) only with full use of the station by January 1845.
line. Ordnance Survey maps showed this was still in use until the
mid 1950's. On 2nd September 1856 S & D minutes record
that the building of a new station should be proceeded with
but it is not recorded when this opened.
|Work on a temporary station started in December 1843, the
station was designed to be converted into railwaymen's cottages
when the permanent station was built. On 15th July 1846 orders
were given to send a redundant platform from Stockton for
the station. When the line was extended to Tow Law on 1st
September 1845 the station was left on a short stub
Opposite Crook Station there were the sidings and main access
to the huge Bank Foot site of coke ovens, fireclay works,
chemical plant and Pease's West Colliery. Crook had a separate
goods station on on the west side of the main line to the
south of the West Road/Commercial Street Level Crossing
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE BISHOP
AUCKLAND TO BLACKHILL LINE
The western section of the Stockton and Darlington Railway
had been progressively improved and extended with the Bishop
Auckland & Weardale Railway finally reaching Crook in
||The B A & W company minutes
show that the line opened to a permanent station at Bishop
Auckland on 30 January 1843, ahead of the rest of the
line to Crook and that the generally quoted 8 November
1843 for opening to Crook was for goods only.
The line was leased by the Stockton & Darlington Rly.
The following stations were proposed: South Church, Bishop
Auckland, Escombe, Old Etherley Colliery, Low Bitchburn, Howden
and Crook. The line opened to a temporary terminus at South
Church on 19.4.1842 and extended to a permanent Bishop Auckland
station on 30.1.1843. The line to Crook was authorised for
opening on 3rd January 1844 but the passenger opening date
to has not so far been traced; however, the minutes do show
that the line was inspected on 1 January 1844 and that permission
to open for passengers was received by on or before 6 January.
Escombe and Low Bitchburn stations are never mentioned again
and were probably never built.
It is likely that the initial service to Crook was market
days only because when it first appeared in Bradshaw in July
1844, only a Thursday market service was shown but the line
was in full use by January 1845.
The Derwent Iron Company was looking for an outlet to the
south and itself considered building a line towards Crook
and the Stockton and Darlington Railway but in the end it
was the S&D who constructed the Weardale Extension Railway
from Crook, via the rope worked Sunniside incline to a station
at Tow Law joining the former Derwent Railway at Waskerley,
at the head of Nanny Mayors Incline where a small railway
village developed on the top of the moors. The line was opened
to traffic on behalf of Derwent Iron Company on the 16 May
1845; the company subsequently purchased the Derwent Railway.
Tow Law first appears in timetables in September 1847; references
have been found to additional stops at High Souk (alias High
Stoop) and Saltersgate Cottage, which would have been further
north towards Burnhill. Although both stations appears on
the early Ordnance Survey maps, passenger use cannot be confirmed.
|The Bishop Auckland & Weardale Railway
amalgamated with the Wear Valley Railway in 1847 which
was in turn taken over by the Stockton & Darlington
in 1858 and by the North Eastern Railway in 1863. On 2nd
March 1868 the Sunniside incline was replaced by a deviation
to allow locomotove haulage, this required the resiting
of Tow Law station.
In NER days a through service was provided from Darlington
to Tyneside via Bishop Auckland, Crook, Tow Law, Burnhill
and along the Derwent Valley Line through Blackhill &
Swalwell. With increasing competition from roads and the decline
in the handling of lime and stone the line north of Tow Law
to Blackhill (Consett) was closed to passengers in May 1939
along with the stations at Burnhill and Rowley ending through
running to Tyneside. Shortly after closure the Government
built the Salters Gate Ammunition Depot across the line between
Salters Gate and Burnhill which effectively totally closed
the through line although munitions trains could access the
Burnhill Station transfer yard from both directions.
The line was further cut back to Crook on 11th June 1956
and the final section of line from Bishop Auckland - Crook
closed to passengers on 8th March 1965. The track north of
Wear Valley Junction was lifted in late 1967 or early 1968.
The line between Bishop Auckland and Crook served a number
of collieries and other industrial sites. Click here
for a full list.
To see the
other stations on the Bishop Auckland - Rowley line click
on the station name: Bishop
Tow Law, High
Junction (Military Exchange Station), Burnhill
See also stations
on the Wear Valley line to Wearhead