CRUMLIN

PHOTO GALLERY

1900 to 1993

[Source: Les Fifoot & Paul Wright]

 

The signal box at Crumlin station seen in the early 1900s with station staff posing for the camera.


NCC Class WT 2-6-4 tank loco number 55 is seen departing north from Crumlin station, with a passenger train, in 1959. One of 18 locos built by the LMS at Derby between 1946 and 1950, these were the last mainline steam locos in operation in the British Isles. Number 4 is preserved at Whitehead.


An enthusiasts special is seen passing through Crumlin station en route to Antrim in June 1964. The passing loop had been removed by this time but the signal box was extant.
Photo by Carl Marsden from the Alan Young collection


Crumlin station looking north on Saturday 26 January 1974. On that day a special free service was operated in advance of the reopening of the line which occured on Monday 28 January 1974. This view was taken from the very first passenger train that departed from Lisburn at 11.15. The train was formed from an MPD set numbers 51, 536, 541, 65.
Photo by Edwin McMillan


In June 1974 MPD railcar number 65 arrives at Crumlin on the 12.55 Antrim to Lisburn service.
Copyright photo by Albert Bridge reproduced under Creative Commons Licence


Looking north at Crumlin station in June 1974. Departing from the station is the 14.05 Crumlin to Lisburn service formed from a three-car MPD set in the NIR livery of that era.
Copyright photo by Albert Bridge reproduced under Creative Commons Licence



Weed spraying at Crumlin in the summer of 1975. The NIR usually hired a weed spraying train from the CIE. in 1975 the weed control train was unavailable. NIR experimented with a somewhat 'Heath-Robinson' arrangement which consisted of water-tanks mounted on a bogie flat-wagon and manual spraying. In this view the train is seen with NIR diesel hydraulic locomotive No. 3 at the head.
Copyright photo by The Carlisle Kid reproduced under Creative Commons Licence

Withdrawn rolling stock is seen at Crumlin on 10 May 1980. The stock is on the siding that had been laid in 1979 to facilitate the scrapping of asbestos contaminated units.
Copyright photo by Albert Bridge reproduced under Creative Commons Licence

A view looking north at Crumlin station on 14 May 1989. Standing in the loop waiting to head south is a ballast train. At its head is an ex-CIE MV-class locomotive in its NIR livery.
Copyright photo by Albert Bridge reproduced under Creative Commons Licence


A view of the main station building at Crumlin, taken on 14th July 1993, looking towards Antrim. By this time, the wooden platform fencing had been replaced by rather stark looking, galvanised steel railings, a feature that appeared on other stations that were reopened. The stone building to the left of the view was the former goods shed.
Photo by Alan Young

Click here to see more photos

 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]




Last updated: Tuesday, 07-Nov-2017 16:29:12 GMT
© 2004-2017 Disused Stations