Station Name: DOVER MARINE/DOVER WESTERN DOCKS

[Source: Nick Catford]


Dover Marine Station Gallery 3: Mid 1950s - September 1969



Storm damage at Dover Marine circa mid 1950s; the carriage shed is seen in the background. The Admiralty Pier has always suffered during bad weather. When the pier was under construction, on 8 October 1850 an intense storm, centred on Dover, destroyed much of the works. Piles, 18in square, were snapped and three huge diving bells were carried away to sea. At daybreak the bay was strewn with fragments of timber and machinery including broken cranes, air-pumps and traversers.

Dover Marine station in early 1959 during construction work to extend the platforms by 114ft prior to the electrification of the London (via Faversham) line in June that year. During the work thestation was closed for a week at the end of February, reopening on 1 March 1959. The work also involved some changes to the track to accommodate the platform extensions.

Battle of Britain Class 4-6-2 No. 34071 '601 Squadron' at Dover Marine station in February 1960. This view shows the prefabricated concrete extensions to the platforms and the plain ‘W’ shaped canopy. 601 Squadron was designed by Bullied and built at Eastleigh works in October 1945. Three months after this photo was taken, 34071 was rebuilt at Eastleigh and stayed at Eastleigh shed until withdrawal after just 19 years of service on 30 April 1967 to be cut up at Cashmores of Newport five months later.
Copyright photo by Alan Lewis Chambers from his Photo Blog

Dover Marine station in 1960. The passenger entrance can just be made out, top left, opposite the ‘Lord Warden’ hotel. From this point two footbridges are seen: one runs along the east side of the hotel to the train ferry dock, which is seen to the right of the hotel, whilst the other is in line with the Admiralty Pier, and then turns sharply to the east to enter the Marine station near the north end of the trainshed. This then joined up with an internal footbridge spanning the platforms. On the west side of the trainshed the curving 4-road carriage shed is seen. The original pierhead with the gun turret is seen bottom left. The pier was widened here and extended in the first decade of the twentieth century.
Click here for a larger version.

Working the 'Golden Arrow' out of Dover Marine circa early 1960s is 70004, 'William Shakespeare’, a Riddles-designed Britannia Pacific. Delivered new to 30A, Stratford shed, on 29 March 1951, it was polished up and given a special finish to appear with the new ‘Golden Arrow’ Pullmans at the Festival of Britain Exhibition between May and September of that year. Transferring to 73A, Stewarts Lane shed in the October, it became well travelled in the 60s with Trafford Park, Willesden, Aston, Crewe North and Stockport sheds to its name, finally being withdrawn on 30 December 1967 from 12A, Carlisle Kingmoor, and cut up during March the following year by T W Ward of Inverkeithing.
Photo from Jim Lake collection

Passengers boarding the ‘Golden Arrow’ at Dover Marine station circa early 1960s.

The approach to Dover Marine station from the Folkestone direction in the early 1960s. The platform extensions are clearly seen with their plain ‘W’ shaped canopies. The footbridge to the pedestrian entrance opposite the ‘Lord Warden’ hotel is seen in the foreground.
Photo from John Mann collection

Platforms 4 (left) and 5 at Dover Marine station seen from the footbridge in the 1960s.
Photo from John Mann collection

The 'Golden Arrow’ is seen approaching Dover Marine station in the 1960s. In 1961, with the Kent Coast electrification scheme, the service became electric-hauled. This allowed  acceleration to 80 minutes for the down service and 82 minutes for the up service. Twenty-four electric locomotives were built in 1958 for the Kent Coast main lines. They were built at the British Rail workshops in Doncaster. Class 71 E5015 is seen here passing under the passenger footbridge before entering the station.
Photo from Jim Lake collection

The 'Golden Arrow' boat train is seen at Dover Marine station in 1963. This British Railways, Class 71 Bo-Bo, third rail 750V dc pick-up and overhead, No. E5001, built at Doncaster in 1958, was withdrawn in 1977 and is now part of the national collection.
Photo from Jim Lake collection

The 'Night Ferry' is awaiting departure from Dover Marine to London Victoria in the 1960s. When the train arrived at Dunkirk it was split into sections and loaded equally on tracks on the port and starboard sides of the ship, to maintain its balance. The coaches were chained to four parallel lines on the deck. Each overnight train carried up to five (very occasionally six) sleeping cars plus baggage cars. On arrival at Dover, the coaches were shunted to the Marine station where a waiting Class 73 electro-diesel was ready for the final leg of the journey to Victoria. In the old days, the 'Night Ferry' was the only service of the Southern Railway to be regularly double-headed, with a Bulleid Pacific and E1 or ‘L’ class 4-4-0 locomotives. The train was not a good timekeeper because of the complexity of loading
and offloading coache.
Photo from John Mann collection


A Class 71 is seen at Dover Marine station in June 1969. This class of locos 2700 power was useful for heavy freight and express passenger work. Acceleration on passenger trains (even when heavily loaded) was quite astonishing - to the extent the climb out of London Victoria was hardly noticeable. Prestigious services including the 'Night Ferry' (London to Paris overnight by train-ferry) and the 'Golden Arrow', were a mainstay of the class for many years.
Photo by Terry Tracey

Looking north from the road to the train ferry dock in June 1969. Dover Marine station is behind the photographer. The clock tower of the closed Dover Harbour station is seen in the distance.
Photo by Terry Tracey


LLooking north from the north end of Dover Martine station in September 1969. This shows the rear of the entrance building from where two footbridges run from the landing at the top of the stairs. That on the left is the original bridge running into the Marine station, whilst that on the right leads to the train-ferry dock. The ‘Lord Warden’ hotel dominates the background. Note the warning
signs in three languages.
Photo by Bob Bridger from 30937 Transport Photograph Database

Click here for Dover Marine Station Gallery 4:
September 1973 - August 1993



 

 

 

[Source: Nick Catford]



Last updated: Wednesday, 17-May-2017 09:03:31 BST
© 1998-2015 Disused Stations