Station Name: DOVER MARINE/DOVER WESTERN DOCKS

[Source: Nick Catford]


Dover Marine Station Gallery 4:
September 1973 - August 1993


The street-level passenger entrance opposite the ‘Lord Warden’ Hotel in September 1973. There is a wide stairway up to the footbridge inside the building;  both the stairway and the footbridge are divided down the centre with cast iron railings. The sign above the door on the left reads 'Dover Marine - Trains and Ships' while that on the right advises 'Promenade and fishing only'. The footbridge on the left runs to the train ferry dock. The 120-lever Marine signal box is seen below the bridge.
Photo by John Mann

Dover Marine station in September 1973. The ferry dock footbridge has suffered badly from the adverse weather and has been strengthened. With the withdrawal of the 'Night Ferry' on 31 October 1980 the dock's days were numbered and it finally closed 8 May 1987. This bridge was quickly demolished.
Photo by John Mann

Looking north along platform 5 at Dover Marine station on 31 July 1976 during a visit by the Lea Valley Railway Club's 'Sunny South Express' railtour. The tour was a round trip from Charing Cross with DEMU 1034. A number of closed passenger lines were visited including Tilmanstone Colliery on the East Kent Light Railway and Ardingly on the electrified link to the Bluebell line and Lavant.
Photo by Alan Young

The 4-road carriage shed at Dover Marine station in January 1978. Two 4-CEP units are seen in the shed with a Class 33 alongside. The Admiralty Pier is seen curving round on the right. Before Dover Marine opened the two original platforms at Admiralty Pier were beneath the promenade. The roof of the customs hall is seen in the background.
Photo by John Law from his Flickr photostream

Night Ferry Type ‘F’ sleeping car in the traditional colours of the CIWL (Compagnie Internationale des Wagons-Lits) having just arrived at Platform 4 at Dover Western Docks in the late 1970s. Type ‘F’ sleeping cars have passenger access doors at one end only. The door space at this end contains an attendant's office and opposite is a compartment for a boiler.
Copyright photo from Eastbank Model Railway Club web site

Class 410 (4-BEP) 7005 stands at platform 5 at Dover Western Docks station in 1982. British Rail Class 411 electrical multiple units were built at Eastleigh works from 1956-63 for the newly electrified main lines in Kent. A variant of the Class 411 design was the Class 410 which contained a buffet car in place of a standard trailer.

The ‘Orient Express’ hauled by a Class 73 locomotive, and diverted from Folkestone Harbour, is seen at Dover Western Docks station in 1982. The Venice Simplon-Orient-Express, or VSOE, is a private luxury train service from London to Venice and other European cities. The VSOE has separate carriages for use in the UK and for continental Europe, but all are of the same vintage (mostly dating from the 1920s and 1930s). Restored Pullman carriages operate in the UK, and on the other side of the Channel restored dark blue former Compagnie Internationale des Wagons-Lits carriages are used. These days, passengers are conveyed across the English Channel by coach through the Channel Tunnel.
Photo by John Law from his Flickr photostream

21 September 1985 saw the Metropolitan Railway electric locomotive No.12 'Sarah Siddons' work the London Regional Transport/British Rail Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railtour'' around Kent. The train started at Victoria and ran via Swanley and Tonbridge to Folkestone West, from where passengers were taken for a trip on the Romney Hythe & Dymchurch Railway. The tour resumed from Dover Western Docks and ran via Faversham and Eltham to London Bridge. 'Sarah Siddons’ is seen at
Dover Western Docks.
Photo by Richard Allen from his Flickr photostream

4-CEP EMU set 1583 departs Dover Western Docks leading service 1P46, the 13.47 Dover Western Docks to London Victoria, in August 1987. On the right stands the immaculately presented 47 621 then named 'Royal County of Berkshire' awaiting departure with 1M04, the 13.55 to Liverpool Lime Street. The vessel on the left moored alongside the quay was the RMT 'Jetfoil lounge', a floating pontoon vessel where passengers waited before joining the Jetfoil service to Ostend in Belgium.
Photo by Adrian Nichols from his Flickr photostream

47527 passes Dover Ferry sidings with 1M04, 13.55 Dover Western Docks to Liverpool Lime Street, on 20 April 1988.
Photo by Graham Walker from his Flickr photostream

Four months later everything had changed, this is the Dover Ferry Dock (seen in the picture above) in August 1988 after the track was lifted. The dock was taken out of use in 1987-88 when the new train ferry built for SNCF the 'Nord Pas-de-Calais' was introduced to the Dover to Dunkerque route. Being a much larger vessel it used a new link span located beyond Dover Western Docks station beside the southern breakwater.
Photo by Adrian Nichols from his Flickr photostream

The old train ferry terminal and customs shed at Dover Western Docks in August 1988.
Photo by Phil Mackie


The footbridge at the north end of Dover Western Docks station in August 1988. The bridge continues outside the trainshed, turning right to the passenger entrance on Lord Warden Square. The 1959 platform extensions are seen beyond the arch.
Photo by 
Phil Mackie


1
By August 1993 the station's days were numbered; a year later it would close. Network SouthEast 4-CEP unit No.1520 departs Dover Western Docks at the rear of the 14.35 boat train to London Victoria.
 
Click here for Dover Marine Station Gallery 5:
August 1993 - June 2012


 

 

 

[Source: Nick Catford]



Last updated: Wednesday, 17-May-2017 09:03:31 BST
© 1998-2015 Disused Stations