Station Name: EASTWOOD (Yorks)

[Source: Alan Young]


Eastwood Station Gallery 2: June 1964 - 1969


Looking north-east along the down (Leeds-bound) platform of Eastwood (Yorks) station in June 1964, almost thirteen years after passenger trains ceased to call. This and the up platform, staggered at the far side of the level crossing, are only slightly above track level – a feature of many early stations, but Eastwood was unusual in that they were never raised to standard height. Both platforms retain their gas lamp standards. The station building is just visible to the left, set well back from the tracks and recessed into the steep cutting, with the signal box (still in use at this date) beyond it. The goods sidings are no longer in use, having closed during the previous month.
Photo from John Mann collection

The coal drops north-east of the disused passenger station at Eastwood (Yorks) seen from Halifax Road in 1964.
Photo from John Mann and from Pennine Horizons Digital Archive collectionsOn 16 July 1966 a Scarborough to Manchester train, headed by ‘Black Five’ No.45062 has just passed the disused Eastwood (Yorks) station. The Stanier-designed 4-6-0 loco was built in December 1934 at Vulcan Foundry, Newton-le-Willows. On 30 April 1967 she would be withdrawn from 13A, Trafford Park shed to be disposed of five months later by Cashmores, Great Bridge.
Photo by Ian G Ho
lt

On 16 July 1966 a Manchester-bound empty carriages train is seen near Eastwood (Yorks). It is hauled by Stanier-designed ‘Black Five’ 4-6-0 built in November 1934 at Vulcan Foundry, Newton-le-Willows. On 29 February 1968 she would be withdrawn from 11A, Carnforth shed, to be disposed of by T W Ward, Beighton, Sheffield.
Photo by Ian G Holt
On 20 August 1966 a Blackpool-bound excursion is approaching Eastwood, hauled by D7609.
Photo by Ian G Holt

Eastwood (Yorks) station looking north-east c1966. The main building is seen far left, with a gas lamp still in place. Beyond the permanent way hut the signal box is in place, still in use. Demolition of the up platform, on the opposite side of the tracks, seems to have started. The station closed to passengers in 1951 and to goods in 1964; the goods siding on the down side beyond the signal box appears to have been lifted, and the crossover close to the signal box has been partially removed.
Photo from Jim Lake and from Pennine Horizons Digital Archive collections

The main building of the disused Eastwood (Yorks) station looking south-west in 1967. The building was not fronted by a platform. The two-storey section was formerly the stationmaster’s house and the booking office and waiting room were in the nearer single-storey part. The platform layout was staggered, with the down (Leeds-bound) platform being far left, beyond the level crossing, and the up platform behind the camera.
Photo from Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Society and from Pennine Horizons Digital Archive collections

The station building at Eastwood (Yorks) looking north-east c1969. The stationmaster’s quarters were in the two-storey section, but it also contained the booking office, as indicated on the lintel of the large window. The single-storey office and waiting range is to the right. The entire building appears to be derelict. Demolition would soon follow.
Photo from John Mann and from Pennine Horizons Digital Archive collections

The derelict station buildings at Eastwood (Yorks) in 1969, looking west. A permanent way hut stands between these buildings and the signal box (extreme right).
Photo from John Mann and from Pennine Horizons Digital Archive collections

Detail of the two-storey building at Eastwood (Yorks) station, seen in 1969. Eighteen years after it closed to passengers ‘booking office’ is still legible on the lintel over the window. Whereas most of the window is glazed (some lights being damaged) one lower section is a ‘ticket window’, suggesting that passengers did not need to enter the booking office to buy their tickets. The clock, with its small gable to provide shelter, and the hood mould above the door will be noted. The gas lamp appears to be illuminated, but is more likely to be reflecting the sunshine.
Photo from Thomas Newell and from Pennine Horizons Digital Archive collections

Looking north-east from Eastwood (Yorks) station in 1969. The station had closed to passengers in 1951 and to goods in 1964; the passenger facilities were behind the camera, and although no longer in use some goods sidings are still in place ahead on the far (up) side of the running lines. A siding on the down side has been lifted. The signal box is still in use at the time of the photograph.
Photo from John Mann and from Pennine Horizons Digital Archive collections

The signal box and the main buildings of Eastwood (Yorks) station looking south-west c1969. The station closed to passengers in 1951 and to goods in 1964. The signal box would remain
in use until 1973.
Photo from Hebden Bridge Local History Society

Click here for Eastwood Station Gallery 3:
1972 - May 2015

 

 

 

[Source: Alan Young]




Last updated: Thursday, 18-May-2017 10:13:45 BST
© 1998-2016 Disused Stations