Station Name: GATESHEAD WEST
[Source: Alan Young and Jonathan Clark]
In 1868 the two platforms known as Gateshead West station were added to the island platform of the original Gateshead station, which became Gateshead East. The latter was reconstructed with two side platforms in 1884-6. Vehicle and pedestrian access to Gateshead West was via a short approach road sloping up from the newly built Hudson Street. The station building on the up (south-east) platform, with booking and extensive waiting facilities, can be seen at the head of the approach road. The down platform had only a screen wall, and the trainshed provided shelter for waiting passengers. The extent of the trainshed (roofing) at each station is indicated by a pecked line across the platforms and tracks. A footbridge at the northern end connects the four platforms of the two stations.