Station Name: GLOUCESTER (Eastgate)

[Source: Nick Catford & Bernie Holland]
Date opened: 12.4.1896
Location: The station was sited at the east end of Station Road but the site is lost under the A430, Bruton Way.
Company on opening: Midland Railway
Date closed to passengers: 1.12.1975
Date closed completely: 1.12.1975
Company on closing: British Rail (Western Region)
Present state: Demolished - a road now runs through part of the station site, the remainder of the site is an Asda store.
County: Gloucestershire
OS Grid Ref: SO838183
Date of visit: April 1981

The Birmingham & Gloucester Railway (which later became part of the Midland Railway) built a terminus station roughly on the site of the current Gloucester station car park.

In 1896 a new through station was constructed on the Tuffley Loop line on a site that had previously housed the Midland Railway engine shed. The station, originally known simply as Gloucester, opened on 12 April 1896; it had three through platforms and one bay. It was sharply curved and featured buildings on both platforms as well as a main entrance building. The
The structures were of typical Midland Railway design in red brick with terracotta decoration. Extensive cast iron and glass ridge-and-furrow awnings covered the platforms. There was a direct footbridge connection to the Great Western Railway’s Gloucester Central station.

Trains from the south gained access via Tuffley Junction and the Tuffley Loop. Had the southern approaches been either on embankment or in cutting, then road traffic could have easily passed under or over the line; however, as it was on the level, there were no fewer than four gated ‘road crossings’, the most notorious being the Barton Gates Crossing which, as car ownership increased in the 1950s, gained a reputation for traffic congestion.

After nationalisation the station came under British Railways’ London Midland Region but was transferred to the Western Region in 1950. It was renamed Gloucester Eastgate on 17 September 1951. It combined with Gloucester Central on 26 May 1968, and the new station was renamed Gloucester although it still appeared in BR timetables as Gloucester Eastgate – with its neighbour continuing to be shown as Gloucester Central - until the May 1975 – May 1976 issue inclusive. There was a walkway between the two sets of platforms which were 300 yd apart.

The goods yard closed on 1 August 1967 although private sidings remained in use after that date. After 1968 the station was rationalised. The island platform was lengthened at the Barton Street end, and the tracks were removed from the other two platforms. The extensive goods yard and sidings were also lifted at this time. Colour light track circuit block signalling
was installed, and the station was effectively merged with Gloucester Central.

Since the late 1960s the maintenance of this site had become an unwanted liability for British Rail; furthermore, the road lobby and local councillors wanted to rid Gloucester of four of its level crossings. These factors conspired to bring about the closure of Eastgate station and the removal of the Tuffley Loop.

Eastgate station closed on 1 December 1975, along with the Tuffley Loop. Services that had previously called at Eastgate now had to perform a reversal at Central station, an operational inconvenience that has resulted in fewer trains calling at Gloucester. As the rebuilt Gloucester Central station was not completed until 1977, the administrative offices on Eastgate station lingered on in use for nearly two more years until demolition commenced in the summer of 1976. The site is now an Asda supermarket.

Gloucester (Midland) station looking north-east c.1905.
Copyright photo from John Alsop
collection



1885 1:2,500 OS map - before Gloucester Eastgate was opened.

1902 1:2,500 OS map

Gloucester (Midland) station looking south-west c.1923. The bridge to the Great Western station is seen on the right.
Copyright photo from Stations UK

View taken at Gloucester Eastgate (Midland) Station c.1936. Two trains can be seen here, the one further back on the left is headed by Midland 4-4-0 No.1087, and the train departing for Bristol is headed by classmate No.936, working experimentally with a new tender of the Stanier pattern.
P
hoto from Bernie Holland collection

Gloucester (Midland) station looking south-west in December 1947
Copyright photo from John Alsop collection

Gloucester Eastgate Station looking south-west to Barton Street crossing in July 1961
P
hoto by Ben Brooksbank

Gloucester Eastgate Station and marshalling yard seen from Horton Road Shed looking
south in August 1965.
Photo by Mike Symons from Bernie Holland collection

Looking north-east towards Gloucester Eastgate station c.1967.
Photo reproduced from Wikipedia under creative commons licence

View of Barton Gates Level Crossing, near Gloucester Eastgate station in September 1972.
Photo by Bill Potter from Bernie Holland collection


Gloucester (Eastgate) station during demolition of the buildings in August 1976
P
hoto by Alan Young


The remains of Gloucester Eastgate Station as seen in November 1976.
Photo by Bill Potter from Bernie Holland collection

Gloucester (Eastgate) station in April 1981.
P
hoto by Nick Catford


Recent aerial view showing the site of Gloucester Eastgate station, now an Asda store. Central station is seen at the top of the picture.

Click here for more pictures of Gloucester Eastgate station

[Source: Nick Catford & Bernie Holland]

Home Page
Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 08:30:47 BST
© 1998-2004 Disused Stations