Notes: The station opened as Golbourne Gate and it was situated
on what became the West Coast Main Line. The line had more humble
beginnings opening on 03.09.1832 as a branch leading from the
1830 Liverpool and Manchester Railway at Parkside and running
up to Wigan. Although the line opened in 1932 the station at
Golborne probably didn't open till later. Not long after its
opening the Station became known simply as Golborne.
Between 1888 and 1894 the line through Golborne by then part
of the LNWR's main line to Scotland was quadrupled but there
were only ever platforms on the slow line.
On 01.02.1949 after nationalisation the station was renamed
Golborne South to distinguish it from its nearby former GCR
namesake. Golborne South Station did not survive to the Beeching
era closing on 6.2.1961. Goods traffic continued until 22.5.1967.
Today bricked up gaps in the road bridge and the track alignment
are the only evidence of the stations existence.
In 2004 Greater Manchester Passenger Transport Executive commissioned
feasibility study into the viability of reopening the station
at Golborne (South). In early 2005 Merseytravel expressed an
interest in the Golborne station proposal and planned to launch
a Golborne rail link bus service between the potential station
site at Golborne and Newton-le-Willows station in Merseyside,
in the hope of building a market for rail
See also Golborne
North & Lowton