Station Name: GOLBORNE NORTH

 

[Source: Paul Wright]



Date opened: 3.1.1900
Location: On the east side of Wigan Road (A573)
Company on opening: Great Central Railway
Date closed to passengers: 3.3.1952
Date closed completely: 3.3.1952
Company on closing: British Railways (London Midland Region)
Present State: Demolished
County: Lancashire
OS Grid Ref: SJ607989
Date of visit: 2.12.2005

Notes: The station opened as Golborne and it was situated on the St. Helens Central to Lowton St. Mary's branch which left the Glazebrook to Wigan Central line at Lowton St. Mary's This line had been sanctioned as early as July 1885 and the original intention was to create a line that would link Wigan to Southport by creating a route from Lowton St. Mary's to Fazakerley Junction on the CLC North Liverpool Extension Line.

The railway company that was formed to build the line the St. Helens and Wigan Junction Railway (became Liverpool St. Helens and South Lancashire Railway on 26.7.1889) was in constant financial difficulty and despite the first sod being cut on 28.1.1888 it did not open to goods traffic until 1.7.1895 and then only to St. Helens. It was to take another five years for the line to be brought up to passenger standards by which time any hope of continuing west had been abandoned.

The line remained a minor branch line that was of far more use for goods as it linked to a number of collieries in the Lancashire coalfield. Passenger services were always secondary. In 1906 the line became part of the GCR transferring to the LNER in 1923.

The station was known as Golborne GC had two simple wooden platforms and very sparse facilities. At nationalization it was renamed Golborne North (1.2.1949) to distinguish it from its nearby former LNWR namesake. Golborne North station did not survive long into the period of nationalisation closing on 1.3.1952. Today nothing remains to show a station ever existed here.


Click on the station name for other stations on the St.. Helens Central - Lowton St.. Mary's Line. St.. Helens Central, Haydock, Ashton-in-Makerfield, Haydock Park Racecourse & Lowton St. Mary's see also Golborne South

 

Golborne North Station
P
hoto from Lowton Website Collection



Looking east at the site of Golborne North Station in December 2005
P
hoto by Paul Wright



 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]


Home Page
Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 08:31:08 BST
© 1998-2005 Disused Stations