Station Name: LOWTON ST. MARY'S

 

[Source: Paul Wright]



Date opened: 1.4.1884
Location: On the south side of Newton Road (A572)
Company on opening: Great Central Railway
Date closed to passengers: 2.11.1964
Date closed completely: 22.4.1968
Company on closing: British Railways (London Midland Region)
Present State: Demolished
County: Lancashire
OS Grid Ref: SJ633975
Date of visit: 2.12.2005

Notes: Notes: In 1874 the CLC promoted the idea of a Wigan Junction Railway which would run from its main Liverpool to Manchester line at Glazebrook and would link it to the lucrative Lancashire Coalfields. Only the Manchester Sheffield and Lincolnshire constituent of the CLC remained interested in the concept and it was they who built the line which opened to goods services in 1879. When opened it connected to the main line at Glazebrook with an east to north curve which meant services could only easily go towards Manchester. In 1900 a west to north curve was put in to allow trains to head to and from Liverpool. The line became part of the GCR and in 1923 part of the LNER but it was operated as part of the CLC system.

In 1884 Lowton St. Mary's opened to passenger services which ran from Manchester to a temporary terminus at Wigan which was not replaced until the opening of Wigan Central in 1892. When it opened the station was known simply as Lowton. The LNWR also had a Lowton Station so it was often called Lowton GC. It was described as a simple station with wooden structures for the early part of its life but this changed with the opening to passengers of the 1895 branch to St. Helens Central. This occurred on the 3.1.1900 and to befit its new status as a junction station Lowton was rebuilt with more substantial facilities. At nationalization it was renamed Lowton St. Marys to distinguish it from its LNWR namesake. Its life as junction station did not last long as the St. Helen's service ended on 3.3.1952. Lowton St. Mary's continued to serve local Wigan Central to Manchester Central services, latterly operated by DMU's until 1.11.1964.

The line lingered on for goods services until 1968. Today the station site is occupied by a wood yard.

Click on the station name for other stations on the St.. Helens Central - Lowton St.. Mary's Line. St.. Helens Central, Haydock, Ashton-in-Makerfield, Haydock Park & Golborne North

To see the other stations on the Wigan Central - Glazebrook line click on the station name: Wigan Central, Lower Ince, Hindley South,
Bickershaw & Abram, West Leigh & Bedford, Culcheth & Newchurch Halt.


Lowton St. Marys Station in 1962 Note the junction signals, the left hand arm controlled the St. Helens Central branch whilst the right hand arm controlled the line to Wigan Central.
P
hoto by Bevan Price



Lowton St. Marys Station looking south in c.1970
P
hoto by John Eckersley

The site of Lowton St. Marys Station in December 2005. Looking south from approximately the same viewpoint as the 1963 picture although at a higher level.
P
hoto by Paul Wright

Undated

1960's

1950's

1963

Click on thumbnail to enlarge



 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]


Home Page
Last updated: Tuesday, 20-Apr-2010 16:11:57 BST
© 1998-2008 Disused Stations