Station Name: NEWCHURCH HALT

 

[Source: Paul Wright]



Date opened: 1.2.1943
Location: West side of New Hall Lane
Company on opening: LNER
Date closed to passengers: 2.11.1964
Date closed completely: 2.11.1964
Company on closing: British Railways (London Midland Region)
Present state: Demolished - the road overbridge incorporates steps down to the platforms these still remain.
County: Lancashire
OS Grid Ref: SJ661946
Date of visit: February 1983 & 29.12.2005

Notes: Notes: Newchurch Halt opened on what was then the LNER Glazebrook to Wigan Central line in 1943 to serve a nearby Royal Navy camp that had been set up for its Air Electrical School. From here a 1.5 mile branch was opened to cater for the huge ordnance works at Risley. The Risley Ordnance factory was served by two private stations, one at the end of the branch from Newchurch on the north side of the site which was open by 7.1941, the other was on the south side of the site on the Glazebrook - Padgate line; this opened on 2.4.1940. Many workers lived on site but hundreds where brought in by special trains from Wigan throughout the Second World War. The station on the Newchurch branch closed 2.1.1952.

Following the war the Newchurch Halt remained open serving local trains northbound to Wigan Central and southbound to either Warrington Central or to Manchester Central. Latterly many services only went as far as Irlam. The station closed along with all of the others on the line on 2.11.1964. The line survived in stages for goods services until 1968.

Today the steps leading down from Newchurch Lane can still clearly be seen as can a lamp column. The platforms which where very basic concrete structures have been removed.

To see the other stations on the Wigan Central - Glazebrook line click on the station name: Wigan Central, Lower Ince, Hindley South,
Bickershaw & Abram, West Leigh & Bedford, Lowton St. Marys & Culcheth

 

The site of Newchurch Halt looking east in February 1983
P
hoto by Nick Catford



The site of Newchurch Halt looking west in December 2005
P
hoto by Paul Wright


Click on thumbnail to enlarge


 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]


Home Page
Last updated: Tuesday, 20-Apr-2010 16:11:11 BST
© 1998-2006 Disused Stations