Notes: The station was opened as Hayden's Lane and was renamed Haydons Road on 1st October 1889. The station was the only intermediate station on the northern loop of the Tooting - Wimbledon line and had two side platforms. The station buildings were almost identical to those at Merton Abbey and consisted of a stationmaster's house and booking office with a small awning on the 'up' platform. and a brick waiting shelter on the 'down' platform. There was a signal box at the east end of the 'up' platform which controlled access to the goods yard which was sited some distance east of the station close to the River Wandle.
Road tickets issued and collected grew from 36,541 in 1928 to 236,845 in 1934. As a result the station was rebuilt with new wooden buildings on both platforms and a passimeter booking office.
||A residential development grew around the station between 1890 - 1914 but the station was closed as an economy measure during WW1 on 1st January 1917, reopening on 27th August 1923. Following the closure of the southern loop in 1929 the northern loop was electrified and the new electric train regained much of the road traffic, especially in peak hours. At Haydons
The signalbox was replaced by a ground frame but the goods yard was enlarged. After the mid 1950's traffic was once again in decline and even rush hour trains weren't well used. Haydons Yards closed on 5th December 1966. The stationmaster's house and all other buildings have now been demolished and replaced by a new brick booking office on the 'up side of the line and two small bus type shelters; the station is staffed during the weekday morning rush hour and Saturday morning. There is a half hourly service to Luton and Sutton.
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE TOOTING MERTON & WIMBLEDON RAILWAY
The Tooting, Merton & Wimbledon Extension Railway obtained an Act on 19 July 1864. This was a nominally independent concern with powers to make working arrangements with both the LB&SCR and the LSWR but a further act of 1865 dissolved the independent company and vesting its line jointly in the LSWR and LBSCR.
junction with the Wimbledon & Croydon Railway at Merton. The northern arm of the loop line reached Wimbledon via a station at Hayden Lane.The opening of the TMWR via Merton Abbey saw the doubling of the WCR between Wimbledon and the junction at Lower Merton.
|The Tooting, Merton & Wimbledon Railway opened on 1 October 1868 from Streatham Junction (on the LBSCR Peckham Rye to Sutton line dating from the same day) to Wimbledon, which was approached from two directions by lines diverging at Tooting Junction, one coming into the town from the north-east, the other from the south¬east after forming a
The line was double track throughout, the line through Merton being justified by promise of freight traffic from the copper mills at Merton Abbey where a siding was provided. At first only LBSCR trains used the TM&W, working between London Bridge and Wimbledon by both routes to and from Tooting Junction, but the 1865 Act had given the LSWR running powers to Tulse Hill and on 1 January 1869 a Kingston to Ludgate Hill service was started, this utilised both arms of the TM & W. although most of the twelve daily trains between Kingston and Ludgate Hill ran via the Merton line.
||There was two intermediate station on the Merton line at Merton Abbey and Lower Merton and one on the northern branch at Haydons Road, both opened with the line. Lower Merton was at the junction with the W & CR, initially there was only platforms on the Tooting line but a platform was later added on the Croydon line opening on 1st November 1870.
In 1893 of the 16 down trains between London Bridge and Tooting Junction, five continued to Wimbledon via Merton Abbey, returning via Haydon’s Road, the remainder reversing this route. Both routes were well used during rush hours but with the introductions of trams and motor buses after 1910 there was little off peak traffic.
Line extension to Morden the southern loop had lost much of its traffic to the underground with commuters using Colliers Wood rather than Merton Abbey which closed from 3rd March 1929 when the loop was relegated to freight traffic only From the following day, electric trains ran half-hourly between Wimbledon and Holborn Viaduct seven days a week and the new electric trains quickly won back passengers from road transport.
|Initially World War I brought few changes to passenger services until 31st December 1916 when services on both sides of the loop were withdrawn to make resources available for essential war transport. The passenger service resumed on 27 August 1923 at a reduced frequency. In 1929 the northern loop was electrified but following the opening of the Northern
supplement to the working timetable indicated that the down platform could be used by excursion trains, but the line was not to be negotiated at more than 5mph, under the supervision of a pilotman.
||The Merton Abbey chord remained busy with freight, but the junction at the Tooting end was severed on 10 March 1934, The up track was removed and the section was worked as a long siding from Merton Park, with control by telephone from instruments in the Merton Abbey goods office. Occasional special passenger workings visited Merton Abbey. In 1936 a
In the late 1920s and 1930s, Merton saw industrial expansion and a siding was laid from the Merton Abbey track into the new Lines Brothers Triang toy factory in Morden Road. Other private sidings served the Eyre Smelting Works and the New Merton Board Mills at Merton Abbey. As late as 1960 there were still two return goods workings daily from Norwood to Merton Abbey and one on Saturdays to Hackbridge, but with factory closures and increased use of road transport, loadings fell, and after the last revenue train ran coal down to Merton Abbey on 1 May 1975 the track was quickly lifted.
although the space between the carriageways where Merantun Road meets Morden Road provides the space for a flyover bridge to be constructed. The track bed between Morden Road and Merton Park Station is now a public footpath and nature reserve
|The section of the TM & WR route east of Morden Road was used to construct Merantun Way (A24) in the early 1990's. The road was built to relieve traffic congestion on Merton High Street and was originally planned to continue to the west, along the route of the old railway to Kingston Road, with a flyover across Morden Road. This section of the route was never
Tickets from Michael Stewart.
Click on station name for other stations on the Wimbledon - West Croydon line: Merton Park, Morden Road, Mitcham, Mitcham Junction, Beddington Lane, Waddon Marsh & West Croydon
See also the Tooting Merton & Wimbledon Railway: Merton Abbey
& Tooting Junction
See also the St. Helier Estate Railway
(West Croydon, Mitcham Junction and Haydons Road are still open but are included for completeness)