Notes: The branch line to Bordon was built under the 1896 Light
Railway Act. The line was built with the help of the War Department
to ease troop movements to Bordon Camp and to bring stores into
A station and goods yard at Kingsley was added three months after
the line opened to serve the expected residential development
in the village.
In 1905, the same year the Bordon branch opened the War Department
decided to build its own standard gauge line from Longmoor to
Borden where there was to be an exchange siding with the LSWR.
The Woolmer Instructional Railway (later renamed The Longmoor
Military Railway in 1935) was extended south to Liss in 1933.
Although built as a passenger line the majority of traffic on
the Bordon branch was always military and it was heavily used
in both world wars. After WW2 passenger traffic dropped of quickly
and the line was closed to passengers in 1957 and to goods in
1966. The track was lifted later the same year.
Branch Lines of the Southern Railway Volume 1 - Published by Wild
Swan 1980 ISBN09067010
The Bordon Light Railway by Peter A Harding - Published by the
author in 1987
ISBN 0 9509414 3 3
Branch Lines to Longmoor - Middleton Press 1987 ISBN 0 906520
See also: Bordon