Station Name: BORDON

 

[Source: Nick Catford]


Date opened: 11.12.1905
Location: On the west side of Old Station Way
Company on opening: London & South Western Railway
Date closed to passengers: 16.9.1957
Date closed completely: 4.4.1966
Company on closing: British Railways (Southern Region)
Present state: Demolished - the site is lost under an industrial estate
County: Hampshire
OS Grid Ref: SU784363
Date of visit: June 1968 & May 1969

Notes: The branch line to Bordon was built under the 1896 Light Railway Act. The line was built with the help of the War Department to ease troop movements to Bordon Camp and to bring stores into the camp. In 1905, the same year the Bordon branch opened the War Department decided to build its own standard gauge line from Longmoor to Borden where there was to be an exchange siding with the LSWR. The Woolmer Instructional Railway (later renamed The Longmoor Military Railway in 1935) was extended south to Liss in 1933. Although built as a passenger line the majority of traffic on the Bordon branch was always military and it was heavily used in both world wars. After WW2 passenger traffic dropped of quickly and the line was closed to passengers in 1957 and to goods in 1966. The track was lifted later the same year.

Further reading:
Branch Lines of the Southern Railway Volume 1 - Published by Wild Swan 1980 ISBN09067010
The Bordon Light Railway by Peter A Harding - Published by the author in 1987
ISBN 0 9509414 3 3
Branch Lines to Longmoor - Middleton Press 1987 ISBN 0 906520 41X

See also Kingsley Halt & Oakhanger Halt

Other web site: Industrial Railway Society web site

 

Borden Station in June 1968
Photo by Nick Catford




Layout of Borden Station
Drawn by Peter A Harding


Bordon Station in the early 1930's
Photo by D. Thompson

Longmoor Military Railway platform at Bordon seen from the BR platform in May 1969
Photo by Nick Catford

1934

1957

1966

Undated

Click on thumbnail to enlarge


 

 

 

[Source: Nick Catford


Home Page
Last updated: Tuesday, 20-Apr-2010 16:11:29 BST
© 1998-2005 Disused Stations