Notes: The branch line to Bordon was built under the 1896 Light
Railway Act. The line was built with the help of the War Department
to ease troop movements to Bordon Camp and to bring stores into
In 1905, the same year the Bordon branch opened the War Department
decided to build its own standard gauge line from Longmoor to
Borden where there was to be an exchange siding with the LSWR.
The Woolmer Instructional Railway (later renamed The Longmoor
Military Railway in 1935) was extended south to Liss in 1933.
Oakhanger Halt was built as the main station for Bordon Garrison.
Peak activity on the line was during WW2. Shortly after the Bordon
Branch line was closed the LMR was cut back to Oakhanger with
Bordon LMR Station closing. The remainder of the line closed three
years later although there were some stock movements in 1970 for
the proposed Longmoor Steam Railway. 1 1/2 miles of track at the
Liss end was leased for this purpose but the scheme failed to
materialise and the stock was gone by October 1971.
Branch Lines to Longmoor - Middleton Press 1987 ISBN 0 906520
See also: Bordon
Other web site: Industrial
Railway Society web site