Station Name: MORFA MAWDDACH

[Source: Nick Catford]

Date opened: 3.6.1867
Location: At the end of an access road running north from A493
Company on opening: Cambrian Railway
Date closed to passengers: 18.1.1965 (Dolgellau platform)
Date closed completely: 18.1.1965 (Dolgellau platform)
Company on closing: British Railways (Western Region)
Present state: The platform is still extant. The southern end has been landscaped and the site covered in tarmac to form the station car park.
County: Merionethshire
OS Grid Ref: SH628142
Date of visit: 2.8.2005

Notes: The station was opened as Barmouth Junction. Initially it was a terminus because the viaduct across the river at Barmouth has not been approved for passenger use; passengers were taken across by horse and carriage. Regular trains first crossed on 10.10.1867.

The Barmouth Junction -Dolgellau line was completed in 1869 by the Cambrian Railway in order to oppose the spread of the Great Western with which it connected at Dolgellau, at the end of their line from Ruabon

The station was renamed in Morfa Mawddach on 13.6.1960. The goods service was withdrawn on 4.11.1963. The Dolgellau platform was closed on 18.1.1965 along with the line to Ruabon. The station was unstaffed from 6.5.1968

The station was sited on the north side of a triangular junction although through running from the Machynlleth to Dolgellau direction had not been possible since the closure of the South cabin by the Cambrian Railway before WW1. The curve itself was retained as a siding, and was used until the early 1960's for turning locomotives.

The line from Morfa Mawddach to Dolgellau now forms part of the Mawddach Way cyclepath

Tickets from Michael Stewart

Further reading: Coast Lines of the Cambrian Railways Volume 2 - Dovey Junction - Barmouth Junction by C C Green. Wild Swan Publications 1996 - ISBN 1874103291


Barmouth Junction Station looking south in the early 20th century
Copyright p
hoto from John Alsop collection




Barmouth Junction Station in the early 20th century
Copyright p
hoto from John Alsop collection

A busy day at Morfa Mawddach station in October 1962. On the left 7339 hauls a train from Dolgellau to Pwllheli, The rear of Pwllheli to Aberystwyth train is seen in the centre while 75020 hauls a train from Machynlleth to Barmouth on the right.
Photo by Brian Johnson

Morfa Mawddach Station c. 1972
Photo by John Bateman

Morfa Mawddach Station looking south in August 2005 - taken from the same
viewpoint as the picture above
P
hoto by Mike Norman


Morfa Mawddach Station looking north along the Barmouth platform in August 2005
P
hoto by Mike Norman

Click on thumbnail to enlarge

 

 

 

[Source: Nick Catford]


Home Page
Last updated: Monday, 04-Feb-2013 23:25:39 GMT
© 1998-2013 Disused Stations