Station Name: NEW CUT LANE HALT

 

[Source: Paul Wright]



Date opened: 1.7.1906
Location: South side of New Cut Lane.
Company on opening: Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway
Date closed to passengers: 26.9.1938
Date closed completely: 26.9.1938
Company on closing: London Midland & Scottish
Present state: Demolished - nothing remains
County: Lancashire
OS Grid Ref: SD361116
Date of visit: 3.1.2006

Notes:New Cut Lane Halt was on the former Liverpool, Southport & Preston Junction Railway (LSPJR) Barton branch which opened on 2 September 1887. Since 15 July 1897 the line had been part of the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway (LYR).

Passenger services had operated on the line since 2 September 1887 but they had not been a success. In July 1906 the LYR introduced a ‘railmotor’ service between Southport Chapel Street and Altcar & Hillhouse. To coincide with the introduction of the railmotor two halts were opened, one being New Cut Lane. It was immediately south of a bridge where New Cut Lane crossed over the line and would have consisted of two low, short platforms reached by steps down from the overbridge. There were just a few scattered farms within easy walking distance of the halt.

The railmotor proved to be a success and two further halts were opened, one in March 1907 and the other on 18 December 1909. New Cut Lane Halt was served by ten trains in each direction although not all of the southbound services went as far as Altcar & Hillhouse, many terminating a short distance to the south at Barton.

Altcar & Hillhouse did offer interchange possibilities with Cheshire Lines Committee (CLC) services running between Southport Lord Street and Liverpool or Manchester, but it seems unlikely that there would have been much demand for this.

The railmotor service became known locally as ‘Altcar Bob’. There are various suggestions how the service acquired its name. ‘Altcar’ is obvious as it was the southern terminus, but the origin of ‘Bob’ is open to question. Some local people say that the original driver was called Bob, while others think that the name could be related to the ticket fare, ‘bob’ being the general term for a shilling. A more likely explanation is that it was named by railwaymen who, it is said, referred affectionately to small engines as ‘Bob’.
By 1910 sixteen return trips were operating on weekdays along the branch and there were even nine on a Sunday which, for a line that south of Butts Lane Halt ran through extremely thinly populated areas, was remarkable.

From the 1st of January 1917 until May 1919 the railmotor ceased to run as far as Altcar & Hillhouse as the SCLER was closed as part of a wartime economy measure. All services would have terminated at Barton.

On 1 January 1922 New Cut Lane Lane Halt became part of the London & North Western Railway (LNWR) after they absorbed the LYR. The July 1922 timetable showed ten weekday departures from the halt for Southport Chapel Street, four for Altcar & Hillhouse, and six for Barton. The following year the LNWR, in turn, merged with other companies to form the London Midland & Scottish Railway (LMS).

On 2 June 1924 the LMS renamed Barton station ‘Downholland’. With effect from 13 November 1926 the station became the southern terminus of passenger trains when services ceased to operate to Altcar & Hillhouse.

In summer 1932 the LMS operated ten weekday services from New Cut Lane Halt to Southport Chapel Street and ten to Downholland. The first departure for Downholland was at 7.00am and the last was at 9.40pm. The first departure for Southport Chapel Street was at 7.15am and the last was at 9.55pm. Seven services operated in each direction on Sundays.

During the 1930s competition from local buses had a detrimental impact on use of the line and, as a result, the passenger service was withdrawn completely on 26 September 1938. The last train ran on Saturday 24 September 1938 and was operated by a conventional locomotive and coaches.

Goods services continued to pass through the site of New Cut Lane Halt until 21 January 1952 after which the line south of Shirdley Hill was closed. It was lifted in the early 1960s, and by 2011 there was no trace of the halt although the road overbridge was in situ.

Ticket from Michael Stewart, Bradshaw by Chris Hind and route map drawn by Alan Young.

Sources:

For more about Altcar Bob see the Southport.gb.com web site.

To see the other stations on the Southport - Altcar & Hillhouse line click on the station name: Southport Central, Southport Ash Street, St. Lukes, Meols Cop, Butts Lane Halt, Kew Gardens, Heathey Lane Halt, Shirdley Hill, Halsall, Plex Moss Lane Halt, Downholland & Altcar & Hillhouse


Looking south at the site of New Cut Lane Halt in October 1982
Photo by John Mann




New Cut Lane Halt in 1908.


Looking north at the site of New Cut Lane Halt in January 2006
Photo by Paul Wright

 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]


Home Page
Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 15:07:26 BST
© 1998-2006 Disused Stations