Station Name: SOUTHPORT CENTRAL
[Source Tony Graham &: Paul Wright]
Southport Central station in 1949
Southport Central as it was in 1890. The WLR had a cramped site compared with its neighbour the LYR whose yard can be seen to the south of the station. The layout of the station is clearly shown on this OS town plan and it even identifies the functions of different parts of the station building. The only addition made to the station whilst it was a passenger facility, after this map was drawn,
was a refreshment room.
1894 1:2,500 OS map. Southport Central as it was in 1894. Note the extensive railway yards to the south which make it look as if the WLR had as spacious a layout as at Southport. In fact they did not did not, as the lines to the south of the station belonged to the LYR. The LYR excursion platform at Southport was longer than the platforms at Central, as can be seen clearly on the map, to the south.
Looking west from the Windsor Road footbridge towards Southport Chapel Street Station in 1962. In the top right corner of the picture the roof of Southport Central station can clearly be seen. At this time it was in use as a goods station and was called Kensington Road Goods. The loco is 61275. It was ordered by the LNER but entered service for the fledgling British Railways on 12.1.1948. This Thompson-designed B1 was one of a batch built at the North British Loco Co. works in Glasgow and it lasted until withdrawal from 50A, York North on 28.10.1965 to be scrapped by Hughes Bolckows of North Blyth. The B1s were the LNER equivalent of the LMS Black Five, a dual purpose, go-anywhere loco and became very popular with crews.
The approach lines to Southport Central as seen in 1967 when it was still in use as a goods depot. The station itself can be seen in the top left of the picture.
Copyright photo from Stations UK
Southport Central station looking away from the buffers towards Preston in April 1977. In 1913 the former passenger station was altered and converted into a goods station. The alterations are clearly demonstrated in this view. The central island platform and the brickwork to the left of the end of the trainshed date from 1913. To the left, though, can be seen a cut-back remnant of the former passenger platform.
Photo by J A Sommerfield
Southport Windsor Road engine shed (close to Central station). The 2-road building opened on 5.9.1882; it was absorbed by the LYR on 1.7.1897 and closed the same year. It was later used as an electricity substation and a goods shed. It stood at least until January 1978
when this picture was taken.
Photo from Roger Griffiths collection
Southport Central station is seen in the top right corner of the picture in this view from 1980 looking north-west. The picture was taken from the Windsor Road footbridge and shows the approaches to the station which, by this date, were devoid of track. In the top left can be seen the Southport locomotive sheds which, in 1980, were in use as the Steamport Railway Museum. The historic Liverpool & Manchester Railway locomotive ‘Lion’ can be seen leaving Steamport.
Photo by Tony Graham
Looking north-west at the north side of Southport Central station in January 1980.
Photo by Barbara Dolan
A view of Southport Central looking south, showing the front of the station which faced onto Derby Road as it was in June 1986.
Photo by Martin Brown
Looking west towards the site of Southport Central Station in January 2006. The industrial buildings occupy the station approach lines. The houses on the right backed onto the line and station.
Photo from Paul Wright
The site of Southport Central looking north-west in July 2011. The picture was taken from the site of the end of the platforms and would have been looking into the station’s trainshed towards the buffers. In the distance can be seen older houses located on Derby Road. The station fronted onto Derby Road.
Photo from Paul Wright