Notes: The original Newmarket Station was built by the Newmarket
& Chesterford Railway Company in 1848. The N & CR was
bought up by Eastern Counties Railways in the mid 1850's, the
station had a single platform terminus which required reversal
when the line was extended northwards to Bury St. Edmunds on 1st
April 1854. This extension involved tunneling under Warren Hill
to the north of the 1848 station.
The original platform was retained for race specials and known
as Warren Hill (and Newmarket High Level) until 1902 when a new
station for race specials was opened at the north end of Warren
Hill tunnel. The new station remained in use until at least 1945.
North of Warren Hill Station, there was a triangular junction
that allowed trains to run either to Ely or Ipswich. There were
also sidings and a coal depot where coal was stored for the Bury
St. Edmunds locomotive depot. The platform at Warren Hill was
also used for loading coal.
One side of the triangular junction and signal box were removed in 1964 although the track bed can still be clearly seen.
Ticket from Michael Stewart.
See also: Newmarket