Notes: The original Newmarket Station was built by the Newmarket
& Chesterford Railway Company in 1848. The N & CR was
bought up by Eastern Counties Railways in the mid 1850's, the
station had a single platform terminus which required reversal
when the line was extended northwards to Bury St. Edmunds on 1st
April 1854. This extension involved tunneling under Warren Hill
to the north of the 1848 station.
When the line to Ely opened on 1st September 1879 a new island
platform was opened and a slightly lower level a short distance
to the east of the original station. The two platforms were joined
by a footbridge. The through portion was replaced by a much large
station half a mile south on 7th April 1902.
The original platform was retained for race specials and known
as Warren Hill (and Newmarket High Level) until 1902 when a new
station for race specials was opened at the north end of Warren
Hill tunnel. The original platform was still occasionally used
after that date for grooms accompanying horses until at least
The 1848 station remained in use as a goods station until 1967.
The track was lifted in 1968 but the buildings survived until
about 1980. There was an outcry when they were demolished as the
front of it was supposed to be listed.
The site has now been lost under Armstong Close which was built
on a raised platform that once supported the station and a retaining
wall remains behind five cottages, (presumably ex railway cottages),
on the lower edge of the site, on All Saints Road. This latter
road curves round and runs along side the old station site to
its junction with Old Station Road.
See also: Newmarket