Station Name: NEWPORT PAN LANE

[Source: Nick Catford]
Date opened: 11.8.1875
Location: The site is lost under Medina Way (A3020)
Company on opening: Newport Junction Railway
Date closed to passengers: 1.6.1879
Date closed completely: 1.6.1879
Company on closing: Newport Junction Railway
Present state: Demolished - the Newport Bypass now follows the course of the railway through the site of Pan Lane Station.
County: Isle of Wight
OS Grid Ref: SZ503889
Date of visit: Not visited

Notes: Newport Pan Lane Station opened in on 11th August 1875 as the northern terminus of the Newport Junction Railway. It was opened without Board of Trade approval and was ordered to close again eventually reopening with authority on 6th October 1875.

The station was only a temporary terminus and was closed on 1st June 1879 when the line was extended northwards to join the Ryde and Newport Railway at Newport Station. A private siding served the adjacent Pan Mill but this was taken out of use in the 1930s.

BRIEF HISTORY OF THE ISLE OF WIGHT CENTRAL RAILWAY
The railways were late in coming to the Isle of Wight. Despite several proposals and a failed Bill the first railway didn't reach the Island until 1862 when the Cowes and Newport Railway opened their line between those two towns. Two years later the Isle of Wight Railway opened a line between Ryde & Shanklin but it was a further 11 years before the two lines were linked by the Ryde and Newport Railway which diverged from the Isle of Wight Railway at Smallbrook Junction, running into a joint station with the CNR at Newport.

The Isle of Wight (Newport Junction) Railway also opened in 1875 from the IWR at Sandown through Merton to a terminus at Newport Pan Lane; the line was extended into the joint station at Newport in 1879 and Pan Lane was closed. Within 10 years this line was virtually bankrupt,

In 1887 the Isle of Wight Central Railway was formed when the three companies amalgamated. The Newport Godshill and St. Lawrence Railway was opened from Merstone to St. Lawrence in 1897 and to Ventnor Town in 1900. The Isle of Wight Central operated this line until 1913; it was then bought by the Central. Despite being closer to the town centre than the IWR station high above the town the new station failed to capture much traffic from its competitor.

All the islands railways were absorbed into the Southern Railway in the 1923 grouping and the service was soon upgraded with the introduction of new rolling stock and a revised timetable that included some through running between the various lines. The Southern Railway itself became part of the Southern Region of British Railways after nationalisation in 1948 and initially there were few changes. However this was short lived; improved bus services and the popularity of the motor car soon led to dwindling passenger numbers. Merstone - Ventnor was the first line to close in 1952 followed by the former Freshwater Yarmouth and Newport Railway in 1953 and the Newport - Sandown line in 1956.

The remaining line between Cowes and Smallbrook Junction survived the initial wave of closures but with the end of steam on the horizon the reprieve was short lived with the line closing to passengers under the Beeching cuts in February 1966. Goods traffic continued to Cowes and Newport for a few months but that too was withdrawn by May 1966.

The southern end of the Isle of Wight Railway between Shanklin and Ventnor was also closed allowing the remaining line between Ryde and Shanklin to be electrified. This is still open and operated by ex-LT tube stock as the Island Line. The island originally had 55 1/2 miles of railways but after 1966 only 8 1/4 miles remained open.

Six bogie carriages of London, Brighton and South Coast Railway and South Eastern and Chatham Railway origin were acquired by the Wight Locomotive Society, along with a variety of wagons, at the end of British Railways steam services on the Isle of Wight in 1966.

Initial restoration took place at Newport Station and following the formation of the Isle of Wight Steam Railway in 1971 these were moved to Havenstreet in January of that year. Havenstreet became the headquarters of the railway. Gradually a five mile section of track between Smallbrook Junction and Wootton was purchased and restored with a new station being built at Wootton (on the opposite side of the road); this opened in 1987. On 21.7.1991 the line was reopened westwards to Ashey and on to a new terminus at Smallbrook Junction where new interchange facilities are now available with the electrified Island Line.

Branch Lines to Newport Mitchell by Vic & Smith - Keith Middleton Press 1985
ISBN 0-906520-26-6

Illustrated History of The Isle of Wight Railways - Cowes to Newport by Smith - Oliver Irwell Press 1993 ISBN 1-871608-32-5

The Isle of Wight Central Railway by R. J. Maycock and R. Silsbury - 2001 Oakwood Press 2001
ISBN 0-85361-573-X

Isle of Wight Railways - a 'then and now' pictorial survey by Colin Pomeroy - Silver Link Publishing 1991 ISBN 0 947971 62 9

Isle of Wight Railways Remembered by Peter Pay - Oxford Publishing 1984
ISBN 0 86093 212 5

To see the other stations on the Isle of Wight Central Railway line click on the station name: Cowes, Mill Hill, Medina Wharf Halt,
Cement Mills Halt, Newport, Whippingham, Wootton, Havenstreet, Ashey, Ashey Racecourse, Shide, Blackwater, Merstone, Godshill, Whitwel, St. Lawrence, Ventnor West, Horringford, Newchurch & Alverstone

Click here for Isle of Wight station index



The site of Newport Pan Lane Station. This later became Pan Lane crossing when the line was extended northwards into the Ryde & Newport Railway station.




1910 1:2500 OS map shows the line is now extened. No evidence of the station remained but a siding has been laid into the adjacent Pan Mill.


Pan Mill siding was taken out of use in the 1930s.

[Source: Nick Catford]


Home Page
Last updated: Saturday, 15-Oct-2011 19:00:27 BST
© 1998-2004 Disused Stations