Notes: From the down loop at Ashey Station a siding ran south
to a chalk quarry under Ashey Down, this also served the adjacent
Ashey Racecourse. Ashey and Ashey Racecourse Stations were particularly
busy on race days in the years preceding 1929 when the grandstand
was gutted by fire and the racecourse was abandoned. The station
never appeared in a public timetable.
The 1919 Ordnance Survey map below clearly shows the quarry siding
and the racecourse but the station is not shown. A station has
been added to the map at what seems to be the most likely position,
adjacent to the grandstand but there is no evidence to confirm
this is the correct position.
The book 'Private and Untimetabled Railway Stations' (Oakwood
Press 1982) lists the racecourse station and gives a National
Grid Reference. However, although a 3 figure easting is quoted
one figure has been omitted from the northing.
To see the other
stations on the Isle of Wight Central Railway line click on the
station name: Cowes,
Mill Hill, Medina
Cement Mills Halt,
Pan Lane, Shide, Blackwater,
Newchurch & Alverstone
for Isle of Wight station index