Station Name: NINGWOOD

[Source: Nick Catford]
Date opened: 20.7.1889
Location: On the west side of Station Road at its junction with B3401
Company on opening: Freshwater Yarmouth & Newport Railway
Date closed to passengers: 21.9.1953
Date closed completely: 21.9.1953
Company on closing: British Railways (Southern Region)
Present state: The platforms and buildings all survive with the main stations buildings on the down platform converted into a private residence. The platform shelter on the up platform is used as a garden store.
County: Isle of Wight
OS Grid Ref: SZ401883
Date of visit: October 1967 & June 1977

Notes: Ningwood Station had a passing loop and two platforms. The loop was extended in Southern Railway days to accommodate longer trains.

BRIEF HISTORY OF THE FRESHWATER, YARMOUTH & NEWPORT RAILWAY
The first railway to be built on the Isle of Wight opened between Cowes and Newport in 1862. In 1868 there was a proposal to build a line from Newport to Freshwater at the western end of the island. This initial proposal came to nothing but in 1880 the Freshwater, Yarmouth and Newport Railway Company were authorised by act of parliament to build a 12 mile single track line with three passing places from the Isle of Wight Central Railway's station at Newport to Freshwater.

Construction started at the western end in 1886 with the line finally reaching Yarmouth two years later. The railway opened to goods traffic on 10th September 1888. There were some passenger excursions but the line didn't officially open to passenger traffic on 20th July 1889.

Intermediate stations were at Carisbrooke, Calbourne, Ningwood and Yarmouth and in July 1889 a private station was opened at Watchingwell for Sir. John Simeon of Swainston. Eventually this became a public station and first appeared in a public timetable in August 1923.

From the start the service was provided by the Isle of Wight Central Railway who provided the staff and the rolling stock while the FYN was responsible for maintaining the line. This did not prove to be a satisfactory arrangement and after bankruptcy in 1896 the partnership was eventually dissolved in 1913 when the FYN bought its own locomotives and rolling stock. The company also built its own station 200 yards west of the IWC station at Newport. Initially transferring passengers had to walk between the two stations but by June 1914 trains were allowed to run between the two stations saving passengers the walk.

The line was not financially successful with the company operating in bankruptcy until 1923 when it was taken over by the Southern Railway as part of the general grouping.
Shortly after the takeover the FYN station at Newport closed with all trains running in to the IWC station. Improvements were made with some through trains running between Freshwater and Ventnor but following nationalisation in 1947 the lines days were numbered. In 1952 it was proposed to close the line and following a public inquiry, closure was approved with the last train running on 20th September 1953.

Many of the islands other disused lines have now been given a new lease of life as public footpaths and cycleways, these include Newport - Sandown (Perowne Way), Newport - Cowes, Wootton - Newport and Brading - Bembridge.

Click here for selected reading

Other web sites: The Freshwater Yarmouth and Newport Railway (Steve Holden) web site.

To see the other stations on the Freshwater, Yarmouth & Newport Railway line click on the station name: Newport, Carisbrooke, Watchingwell,
Calbourne & Shalfleet, Yarmouth & Freshwater

Click here for Isle of Wight station index


Ningwood station looking east in September 1963




Ningwood Station in September 1953
Photo by J. H. Aston

Ningwood Station in 1953
Photo by J. L. Smith

Ningwood station looking west c. 1964.
Photo by Bill Rawlinson

Ningwood Station seen from the Station Road overbridge in October 1967
Photo by Nick Catford

Ningwood Station in June 2005
Photo by Nick Catford

August 1953

1967

c.1964

c.1964

1977

2005

2005

2005


Click on thumbnail to enlarge

 

 

 

[Source: Nick Catford


Home Page
Last updated: Sunday, 28-Oct-2012 23:29:59 GMT
© 1998-2012 Disused Stations