Station Name: YARMOUTH

[Source: Nick Catford]
Date opened: 20.7.1889
Location: At the end of Victoria Road
Company on opening: Freshwater Yarmouth & Newport Railway
Date closed to passengers: 21.9.1953
Date closed completely: 21.9.1953
Company on closing: British Railways (Southern Region)
Present state: The platform and station building are both extant, the building having been converted into a youth centre (1990). A public footpath runs along the track bed at this point.
County: Isle of Wight
OS Grid Ref: SZ358895
Date of visit: October 1967, June 1977 & 4.1.2005

Notes: The station originally had a long passing loop with a second platform; the loop was disused by the 1920's and later removed. Unusually the two platforms were staggered due to a stream that passed under the line near the end of the up platform. There was a 320' single line siding serving a small goods yard behind the up platform.

BRIEF HISTORY OF THE FRESHWATER, YARMOUTH & NEWPORT RAILWAY
The first railway to be built on the Isle of Wight opened between Cowes and Newport in 1862. In 1868 there was a proposal to build a line from Newport to Freshwater at the western end of the island. This initial proposal came to nothing but in 1880 the Freshwater, Yarmouth and Newport Railway Company were authorised by act of parliament to build a 12 mile single track line with three passing places from the Isle of Wight Central Railway's station at Newport to Freshwater.

Construction started at the western end in 1886 with the line finally reaching Yarmouth two years later. The railway opened to goods traffic on 10th September 1888. There were some passenger excursions but the line didn't officially open to passenger traffic on 20th July 1889.

Intermediate stations were at Carisbrooke, Calbourne, Ningwood and Yarmouth and in July 1889 a private station was opened at Watchingwell for Sir. John Simeon of Swainston. Eventually this became a public station and first appeared in a public timetable in August 1923.

From the start the service was provided by the Isle of Wight Central Railway who provided the staff and the rolling stock while the FYN was responsible for maintaining the line. This did not prove to be a satisfactory arrangement and after bankruptcy in 1896 the partnership was eventually dissolved in 1913 when the FYN bought its own locomotives and rolling stock. The company also built its own station 200 yards west of the IWC station at Newport. Initially transferring passengers had to walk between the two stations but by June 1914 trains were allowed to run between the two stations saving passengers the walk.

The line was not financially successful with the company operating in bankruptcy until 1923 when it was taken over by the Southern Railway as part of the general grouping.
Shortly after the takeover the FYN station at Newport closed with all trains running in to the IWC station. Improvements were made with some through trains running between Freshwater and Ventnor but following nationalisation in 1947 the lines days were numbered. In 1952 it was proposed to close the line and following a public inquiry, closure was approved with the last train running on 20th September 1953.

Many of the islands other disused lines have now been given a new lease of life as public footpaths and cycleways, these include Newport - Sandown (Perowne Way), Newport - Cowes, Wootton - Newport and Brading - Bembridge.

Click here for selected reading

Other web sites: The Freshwater Yarmouth and Newport Railway (Steve Holden) web site.

To see the other stations on the Freshwater, Yarmouth & Newport Railway line click on the station name: Newport, Carisbrooke, Watchingwell,
Calbourne & Shalfleet, Ningwood & Freshwater

Click here for Isle of Wight station index


Yarmouth Station in 1953
Photo by J. L. Smith


Yarmouth station in 1953
Photo by J. L. Smith

Yarmouth station looking south-west c.1964.
Photo by Bill Rawlinson

Yarmouth Station in September 1967
Photo by John Hulse


Yarmouth Station in June 1977
Photo by Nick Catford

Yarmouth Station in June 2005
Photo by Nick Catford


c.1964

c.1964

1967

1967

1967

1977

2005

2005

2005

2005

2005

2005

Click on thumbnail to enlarge

 

 

 

[Source: Nick Catford


Home Page
Last updated: Monday, 29-Oct-2012 06:00:47 GMT
© 1998-2005 Disused Stations