Station Name: NORHAM

[Source: Alan Young]


Norham Station Gallery 2: 1958 - April 1962

The eastern end of Norham station photographed in 1958. The upper floor of the stationmaster’s house and the timber structure containing the stationmaster’s and booking office and ‘general room’, to its right, are seen on the down platform. The narrow gap between this building and the porters’ rooms (far right) is occupied by a staircase and luggage slide. The hand-lettered BR(NE) nameboard on the porters’ rooms will be noted. The wicker baskets on the barrow are possibly waiting for dispatch
by the next passenger train.
Copyright photo from Stations UK

Looking east towards Norham station on 31 October 1959, with the goods sidings clearly in use. Although the station would close to passengers in June 1964 goods traffic continued to be handled for another nine months.
Photo by John F Mallon / Joint NERA and Ken Hoole Study Centre collection

The passenger station at Norham looking west on 31 October 1959. Beyond the cross-over is the bridge over Norham Station Road, the lane to Norham village. On the down (left) platform is the upper storey of the stationmaster’s house adjoined by buildings constructed early in the twentieth century, whilst only a waiting shed is on the up platform with the signal box beyond the end of the platform. The goods shed is visible far left.
Photo by John F Mallon / Joint NERA and Ken Hoole Study Centre collection

The 1902 NER Northern Division standard (N4) signal box at the west end of Norham station’s up platform – undated.
Photo from ‎Gareth Lauder Patterson from Railways of Berwick and the Eastern Borders Facebook Group

The down platform at Norham, looking east in April 1961 probably from the Berwick-upon-Tweed to St Boswell’s train scheduled to call here at 6.58pm. The stone building in the foreground, to which the nameboard is affixed, contains the porters’ rooms.
Copyright photo by Nigel Mundy

Looking east towards Norham station, probably in winter 1963-64. The goods yard, with loading gauge is seen on the right with the signal box and passenger station beyond.
Photo by Morrison Halbert from Roy Lambeth collection / ARPT collection

The interior of Norham’s second signal box probably in winter 1963-64.
Photo by Morrison Halbert from Roy Lambeth collection / ARPT collection
Norham’s second signal box to the west of the up platform, probably in winter 1963-64. The nameplate is almost illegible; perhaps it was painted black to obscure the name for security reasons in World War 2 and left in this state. The nameplate on the eastern elevation is legible in 1950s photographs.
Photo by Morrison Halbert from Roy Lambeth collection / ARPT collection

Norham station looking east probably in winter 1963-64. The difference in length of the platforms is apparent. Until the early 1950s the up (left) was a little longer than the down platform and formerly extended to approximately the point where the photographer is standing; however a new ramp has been built and the pathway has been provided in its place to reach the signal box, just behind the camera. The waiting shed on the up platform has been removed. Lanterns are still provided on the platform.
Photo by Morrison Halbert from Roy Lambeth collection / ARPT collection

A fine general view of the signal box, goods and passenger facilities at Norham station probably in winter 1963-64.
Photo by Morrison Halbert from Roy Lambeth collection / ARPT collection

No.46479 is seen from Norham station’s goods yard, looking west. The somewhat dishevelled appearance of the sidings suggests that the photograph was taken in the early 1960s, not long before the line and goods yard closed to all traffic. The Ivatt-designed loco, a Class 2F 2-6-0, was built at BR’s Darlington works in September 1951. She was withdrawn in July 1965 from 68A, Carlisle
Kingmoor shed.
Photo by Brian Johnson

Click here for Norham Station Gallery 3:
c1962 - August 2001

 

 

 

[Source: Alan Young]




Last updated: Thursday, 28-Dec-2017 22:15:15 GMT
© 1998-2017 Disused Stations