OLD HILL - GALLERY

[Source: Terry Callaghan]
 
August 1955 sees a main line service approaching the station from the Stourbridge direction with a train bound for Birmingham.
Photo by John Alsop


Ex-GWR Collet 74xx class 0-6-0PT comes off the Halesowen branch with a single Toad brake van in tow.
reproduced under creative commons licence © National Railway Museum and SSPL

GWR Collet 74xx class 0-6-0PT 7435 seen running round a brake van in the main line platforms during September 1959. The charming top-entry gas lantern on the station platform complete with ornate spigot is worthy of note.
reproduced under creative commons licence © National Railway Museum and SSPL


Ex GWR Collett 0-6-0PT 64xx Class number 6403 stands in the platform during August 1963 awaiting the road for its return service to Dudley. The site of the new lower quadrant signal marks the spot where the down platform buildings stood. The locomotive was new from Swindon works during March 1962 and would be withdrawn during October 1963, some 2 months after this picture was taken, from Stourbridge Junction shed (84F). The loco would be scrapped locally by Arnott & Young at their Avonmour Iron Works, Bilston during February 1964.
Photo by David Pearson

Looking towards Birmingham in the late 1960s with two diesel multiple units passing. The footbridge has had its canopy removed and the up platform buildings have been demolished. The engineer's department materials to the left of the footbridge probably signify the lifting of the rusty connections with the Dudley branch. The running-in board is still offering onward connections to Halesowen and Dudley.
Photo from the John Mann collection


This early example of British Rail corporate signage from the 1960s seen here during January 1975 seems to have been used for target practice.
Photo by John Mann


An example of the 1960s BR corporate running-in board in January 1975 which were complemented by smaller versions attached to the lighting columns. BR ceased to install this type of signage at only but major stations.
Photo by John Mann

A lengthy DMU arriving from the Birmingham direction during July 1975.
Photo by Michael Weserley
reproduced under creative commons licence from Geograph


Looking in the Birmingham direction on 26 November 1977 from a passing train with the BR corporate running in board and uniformed staff present. The 'standard BR' GEC design double tube flourescent lanterns are typical of the period.
Photo by Alan Young


On the Halesowen branch side of the island platform several items relating to the railway can be found. The two posts were the canopy supports for the Halesowen branch platform.
Photo by Terry Callaghan


The brickwork of the GWR signal box's locking room, seen on 28 December 2014, still survives under 40 years worth of ivy.
Photo by Terry Callaghan



Also present in the base of the signal box is the capped gas supply seen on 28 December 2014.
Photo by Terry Callaghan


A signalling cabinet is also present on 28 December 2014 adjacent to the signal box remains. Slowly being devoured by the relentless growth of ivy.
Photo by Terry Callaghan


To return to the main page click here

 

 

 

[Source: Terry Callaghan]




Last updated: Monday, 22-May-2017 09:37:32 BST
© 1998-2015 Disused Stations