Notes: Over and Wharton station was situated at the end of a mile long branch line that connected to the London North Western Railways (LNWR) premier West Coast route just to the north of Winsford.
The line was built to give access to the salt traffic for which Winsford was well known. Over and Wharton station was close to a Cheshire Lines Railway station called Winsford and Over. To avoid confusion the LNWR opted for the Over and Wharton name.
passenger platform, a large timber goods shed and a 1 ton 10 cwt crane. There were numerous sidings including private sidings for R Evans & Co. and Salt Union Ltd. The LNWR opened an engine shed on 1st June 1882. It was a single road brick built dead-ended shed with a gable style slate roof. Facilities included a water tank.
||The station was provided with one platform on the east side of the line. A timber built single storey building provided booking facilities, waiting rooms and staff accommodation. The station had extensive goods facilities which is not surprising considering that the movement of freight was the lines primary purpose. There was a goods dock on the west side of the
Passenger train services consisted of a shuttle which ran to Hartford Station. From Hartford passengers could connect into a variety of local and long distance services.
|On the 1st of January 1917 Over and Wharton station was closed as a War time economy measure. It re-opened for passenger services on the 17th of July 1920. In 1923 the Station became part of the London Midland Scottish Railway (LMS). During the 1930s five shuttle trains ran in each direction on weekdays only. No trains ran on Sundays.
The branch was originally double track but then was worked as a single track line after the First World War. The original up line was not lifted but used as a long siding. This siding was later used for the storage of locomotives bound for the scrap yard. Over and Wharton station did not survive long enough to become part of the nationalized British Railways as it was closed by the LMS on the 16th June 1947. The engine shed closed on 30th August 1947 however locomotives continued to be serviced on the shed road until 1964. The line remained in use for freight (mainly rock salt from the Winsford mines) traffic for many years many years after the closure of the station to passengers and did not finally close until March 1991, the track was lifted almost immediately..
Tickets from Michael Stewart, map drawn by Alan Young
See also Winsford & Over