Notes: The first MS & L (Manchester Sheffield and Lincolnshire
Railway) station at Penistone opened 14.7.1845. When the L &
Y (Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway) service opened on 1.7.1950
it joined the MS & L at a junction east of the station and
trains had to reverse into the MS & L station. This was replaced
by a joint GC & L & Y station at the junction in 1874
with separate sets of platforms.
Penistone, giving Penistone a direct train to
||The remaining platforms at Penistone serves the line from Huddersfield with Sheffield, via
Barnsley, with an hourly train in each direction. Train services are provided by Northern Rail.
There are proposals by Alliance Rail to run a 4 trains-per-day service between Huddersfield and
London Kings Cross, via Worksop, Sheffield and .
London 4 times a day
Penistone station is the site of the one of the two remaining passing loops on the Barnsley to
Huddersfield line, allowing trains coming from Sheffield and Huddersfield to pass each other.
However the sections either side of it are both single track - that northwards to Clayton West
junction and Shepley having been singled in 1969, whilst that to Barnsley has been so since
reopening in 1983. The loop was formerly controlled from the distinctive elevated ex-GCR
Huddersfield Junction signal box south of the station until 1998, when control was transferred to
the new Barnsley PSB and the box closed - it has since been demolished.
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE WOODHEAD LINE
The line opened in 1845. It was built by the Sheffield, Ashton-Under-Lyne and Manchester Railway with Joseph Locke as its engineer. In 1847 the railway merged with the Sheffield and Lincolnshire Junction Railway, the Great Grimsby and Sheffield Junction Railway, and the Grimsby Docks Company to form the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway, which changed its name to the Great Central Railway (GCR) in 1897. Ownership passed to the LNER in 1923, and finally to British Railways Eastern Region in 1948.
Both goods and passenger traffic was very heavy and some sections of the line were therefore quadrupled.
|The original eastern terminus of the line was at Bridgehouses station. By the time of the creation of the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway in 1847 the station at Bridgehouses had been outgrown. A 1 km extension including the Wicker Arches viaduct, engineered by John Fowler, was constructed to the new Sheffield Victoria Station, which opened in 1851.
Electrification was first mooted by the Great Central Railway owing to the difficulties of operating heavy steam-hauled coal trains on the Penistone-Wath section (the Worsborough branch), a line with steep gradients and several tunnels. Definitive plans were drawn up by the LNER in 1936; many of the gantries for the catenary were erected before World War II. The war prevented progress on electrification, but the plans were restarted immediately after the war — however this time with plans for a new double-track Woodhead tunnel. This (third) Woodhead tunnel was constructed to replace the twin single-bore Victorian tunnels which had been damaged by years of
smoke from steam engines. A second Thurgoland tunnel was also required, as the existing tunnel
had inadequate clearance for twin electrified lines.
braking by transfer of power from descending to ascending trains in the same section of line comparatively straightforward). The main contractor for the electrification work was Bruce Peebles & Co, Edinburgh.
||The Manchester–Sheffield–Wath electrification project was finally completed in 1955 using overhead wires energised at 1,500 volts direct current. Whilst this was tried and tested technology (and is still standard in the Netherlands), the comparatively low voltage meant that a large number of electricity substations and heavy cabling would be required. (It also made regenerative
Following technological developments (especially in France) 1.5 kV DC was soon superseded by the later network standard of 25 kV AC. This left the Woodhead Line as the only main line in the UK with 1.5 kV DC electrification New electric locomotives for the line were constructed at Gorton locomotive works, Manchester. These were the EM1/Class 76 for freight trains (and some passenger duties) and EM2/Class 77 locomotives for express passenger trains. Given the steep gradients on the line, the locomotives were able to use regenerative braking on their descent from Woodhead. Rheostatic braking was also later added. Additionally, Class 506 electric multiple units were built for suburban services between Manchester, Glossop and Hadfield. A new depot at Reddish on the Fallowfield Loop line, was built in 1954 to maintain the new rolling stock.
Valley Line through Edale would be required to remain open for social and network reasons and could handle all Manchester– Sheffield passenger traffic. The Class 77 locomotives for passenger traffic were sold to the Netherlands Railways, where 1500 V DC electrification was standard. By the late 1970s, a large part of the remaining freight traffic consisted of coal trains from Yorkshire to Fiddlers Ferry Power Station near Widnes—which required a change to diesel haulage for the final part of the journey.
|Prior to 1959 Penistone was also the terminus of local trains from Doncaster via Barnsley and the
Dearne Valley. These trains were timed to connect with Sheffield-Manchester trains at Penistone.
Having seen major investment in the 1950s the line was controversially closed to passenger traffic on 5 January 1970 when it was clear that the alternative Hope
the line was mothballed. The tracks were lifted between 1985 - 1986 ending short-term hopes of reopening. Almost the entire line east of Hadfield has now been lifted (apart from a few short sections shared with other lines, notably at Penistone). Parts of the trackbed were have now been blocked by road construction preventing any future reopening.The trackbed between Hadfield and the Woodhead Tunnel has currently been adapted as the Longdendale Trail for hikers and cyclists, part of the Trans Pennine Trail.
||By the 1980s a combination of alternative available routes, an absence of passenger traffic since
1970, a downturn in coal traffic across the Pennines and a need to eventually upgrade or replace
the (non-standard) electrical supply systems and Class 76 locomotives resulted in the line's closure east of Hadfield. The last train operated on 17 July 1981 and
Tickets from Michael Stewart
Some text copied from Wikipedia under creative commons licence .
on station name for other stations on the Woodhead line: Sheffield
Bridge & Woodhead