Radcliffe West Junction signal box was situated on the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway (LYR) Cheetham Hill – Bradley Fold Junction line. The section of line on which the box stood opened on 1 December 1879.
The box was located at the point where the Radcliffe West Fork line had its junction with the Cheetham Hill – Bradley Fold route. The West Fork line had also opened on 1 December 1879. It provided a connection to the former East Lancashire Railway (ELR) Clifton Junction – Bury line of 1846 (part of the LYR since 1859) at Radcliffe North Junction. The purpose of the West Fork was to provide direct access to and from Bolton for trains using the former ELR route north of Bury.
Although Radcliffe West Junction box opened in 1879 it was not inspected until 4 March 1880. It was a Gloucester Wagon Company Size 3 all wood structure equipped with a 27 lever Gloucester Wagon Company frame. It was located in fork of the junction.
The box controlled the junction, a connection to Whittaker’s Bridge Colliery, sidings and two crossovers. Its flank boxes were Bradley Fold Junction, Radcliffe North Junction and Radcliffe South Junction. From the latter there was a line, the Radcliffe East Fork, to Radcliffe North Junction.
In 1920 the box was closed and replaced by an LYR Size 6 brick based structure fitted with a 28 lever LYR frame. The new box was located 14 yards south of the original. The new box initially controlled the same layout as the old but by 1929 the colliery connection and associated sidings had been removed.
The lines between Radcliffe South Junction and Bradley Fold Junction, and between Radcliffe West Junction and Radcliffe North Junction closed to all traffic on 2 November 1964. Radcliffe West Junction signal box closed on the same day.