Notes: Red Rock station opened on the 1st December 1869 one month after the line that it was situated on, the Lancashire & Yorkshire and Lancashire Union Joint Railway from Boars Head Junction to Rawlinson Bridge opened for goods traffic. Passenger stations also opened on the same date at Boars Head and at White Bear.
The 6 mile long joint line was constructed because the Wigan coal owners wanted better transportation links to the mills and factories of North East Lancashire. The coal owners also wanted a line that would allow trains to go south and gain direct access to Garston Dock where shipping charges were far less than Liverpool Dock.
Red Rock station had two platforms that were staggered on each side of a barrow crossing with the northbound platform being nearer to the bridge that carried Red Rock Lane over the line. Both platforms had substantial stone built single story buildings and a goods siding was provided.
On the 1st October 1883, the line passed into the joint ownership of the London & North Western Railway and the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway. On the 1st January 1922 it passed into the sole ownership of the London & North Western Railway for a short period before that company became part of the London Midland Scottish Railway at the time of the 1923 Grouping.
Red Rock station did not stay open to passengers for very long at nationalisation as British Railways closed it on the 26th September 1949. The station remained in use for goods services until 2.9.1957 although from 6.12.1954 it had been downgraded to an unstaffed public siding. After final closure it was abandoned and left to deteriorate. After the end of passenger services the line was singled in the mid 1960's and goods services and diversions operated up until 5th October 1971 after which the line officially closed. A 1974 Ordinance Survey map of the area shows the line still in situ.
The down waiting room at Red Rock was always kept locked as it was maintained for the use of the Lindsay family at Haigh Hall from 1870 until 1946 when the family moved.
Today, the station building remains albeit incorporated into a large residence as does the former goods yard and track bed which leads into Adlington.
Sources: Townley, Smith & Peden, 'The Industrial Railways Of The Wigan Coalfield' (Runpast Publications), Bob Pixton, 'Main Line Railways Around Wigan', (Runpast Publications)
See also Boars Head & White Bear