RUNCORN GAP

PHOTO GALLERY

[Source: Paul Wright]
 
A mixed goods train heads north from Widnes Dock and is seen passing through the site of Runcorn Gap Station in the mid 1960s. The station was located at a point that adjacent to the factory seen to the left of the picture. By the time this picture was taken the station had been closed for over 100 years and nothing remained to show it had ever existed. Following the closure of Runcorn Gap station the location continued to develop as an important railway. The photographer is standing on a footbridge which carried a public footpath across the busy Widnes Dock Junction which is out of sight to the right of the picture.
Photo by Bill Twist from the Widnes Railway Society collection

Looking west at the site of Runcorn Gap station on 2 January 1982. The line passed from left to right where the white path can be seen.
Photo by John Mann

The site of Runcorn Gap Station looking north in March 1983. In the distance, partly obscured by the concrete fence, can be seen the bridge that carried the 1870 Widnes Deviation line over the original St Helens and Runcorn Gap Railway. The St Helen's Canal which the line crossed by means of a swing bridge is behind the photographer out of view.
P
hoto from Halton Borough Council collection


The site of Runcorn Gap station looking south on 12 July 2012.
P
hoto by Paul Wright


Looking north at the site of Runcorn Gap station on 30 January 2018.
P
hoto by Paul Wright

Click here to return to main page

 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]




Last updated: Wednesday, 31-Jan-2018 17:06:05 GMT
© 2004-2018 Disused Stations