Station Name: SANDGATE

[Source: Nick Catford and Brian Hart]


Sandgate Station Gallery 2: June 1927 - April 2014


Sandgate signal box at the west end of the down platform in June 1927. Almost identical boxes were provided at Hythe and Sandling Junction. The down platform line was a goods road, hence the loading gauge over the line.
Copyright photo from John Alsop collection


An aerial view of Sandgate station in 1929. Note the steep approach road from Seabrook Road. Although not visible in this view there is an alternative route to the station with a steep flight of steps up to the far end of the station forecourt. The layout of the east end of the station is clearly visible. The water tower is seen at the end of the up platform with the engine shed at the end of the line. The two-storey stable is seen to the right of the engine shed with the yard crane in front of it. A number of coal wagons are in the siding. Access to the goods yard was from Hospital Hill.
Reproduced with the kind permission of Simmons Aerofilms Ltd


Sandgate station forecourt in 1931, shortly after the station was closed.
Photo by C J Barnard


Sandgate building later in 1931 shortly after the building was dismantled. It was later re-erected at Ashford Cricket Club where it served as their club house for many years.
Photo by C J Barnard

The usual view from Hospital Hill, this time in the 1930s. After demolition of the station the bus depot was quickly built on the west end of the station site. The two platforms are still visible in
front of the depot.
Photo from John Mann collection


Looking east from Cliff Road bridge towards the site of Sandgate station in the 1930s. The bus depot on the station site is the light coloured building in the distance. The Sandgate down distant signal stood on the right in the foreground. A Martello tower is seen on the hillside in the distance.
Photo from Brian Hart collection


Cliff Road overbridge looking east towards Sandgate in 1930s. This bridge is extant although the cutting on the west side has been filled in almost up to the bridge, and a house now stands on it.
Photo from Brian Hart collection


Sandgate station looking east in March 1939. The water tank is still there at this time but the site of the engine shed is marked by a clump of bushes. The gents' toilet is still in good order and used by bus crews. Buses can be seen encroaching onto more of the station site. The depot is some distance behind the photographer.
Photo by RF Roberts


The east end of Sandgate up platform looking east in May 1959. All the platform edging has now been removed and the water tower has been demolished.
Photo by David Pearson


The gents' toilet was still there in May 1975 but clearly no longer used by bus crews. Five years later the bus depot closed.
Photo by Nick Catford


Sandgate station site looking east in September 1979. The bus depot is behind the photographer.
Photo by John Mann


Looking east along Battery Point, the site of Sandgate station, in April 2014. Redevelopment of the site was underway in the late 1980s.
Photo by Nick Catford

Click on thumbnail to enlarge

 

 

 

[Source: Nick Catford and Brian Hart]



Last updated: Friday, 26-May-2017 10:51:38 CEST
© 1998-2014 Disused Stations